New Year's Eve

Since Rayanne and I were dateless, we decided to hang out. Annabelle and Michaela had been invited to a party. Corey had planned on a surprise visit and Michaela's new man was going to be there, too. Neither of us wanted to watch as couples kissed when the ball dropped, so we bought junk food and rented movies we couldn't find on Netflix. Our night was planned until Mrs. Jones, the lady who i had babysit for called me. She said she was having a party and asked me if i wanted to come and i could bring a friend. She said there would be other teens there, as well. My parents had been invited too, but politely declined. She invited the whole neighborhood, kind of like a block party. With my parent's permission(Of course i had to ask Rayanne), it looks like i will be going to a party. We only had a few hours to get ready but we looked fabulous. Rayanne wore a red velvet, strapless dress and i wore the ever classic, little black dress. My dad, on the other hand, demanded i go back upstairs and change. I compromised and found a black sweater to wear over it. I said goodbye to my parents as they reminded me, this was a special occasion  so my curfew was 12:30. Rayanne was staying the night, which was okay with my parents. Mrs. Jones had said she wouldn't allow us to drink, which was fine with me. I knew Annabelle would be drinking, though.
   We got to the party around 8:00p.m. There were mostly adults there, at first, but gradually more people showed up. We saw some kids from school and talked to them. A cute boy I had never seen before, had been staring at me for a full fifteen minutes, according to Rayanne. She made me go say hi, as she followed along. His name was Ty and he went to a Catholic school nearby. He introduced his friend, Jake to Rayanne and they hit it off, instantly. We had alot of fun, just talking and dancing. Until Annabelle showed up. ..Most people had moved inside, it was kind of chilly outside, though the Jones's had set up a tarp to cover the patio. Annabelle clearly had been drinking, that much was clear. I tried to pretend i didn't see her but of course, she had to be seen and heard." Hey Lyla!" " I made them stop here..hey i need  more beer!" Annabelle picked up a bottle someone had set down and began drinking. " Annabelle, you can't do that!" " Mrs. Jones won't like that!" But she ignored me and kept drinking. I tried to keep an eye on her but with so many people, it was difficult. I completely lost Ty. I didnt want him to think i wasn't interested, because i definitely was. Rayanne spotted me and waved me over. She looked worried. What happened now?! I hadn't noticed Michaela was there with her boyfriend, whose name i still didn't know. That was when i saw Ed. He barely looked at me. Annabelle was hanging all over him. I guess they didn't break up, after all. Keeping my composure, i told Rayanne to find Ty for me and tell him I would be right back, i needed to find out what was going on. "Hi, Ed." " I wasn't expecting to see you." " I came back early, it was the only flight i could get." " I thought Corey was coming?" " He couldn't get money for a ticket." Ed was definitely checking me out, but i wasn't falling for it. "Lyla, could i talk to you, alone?" I knew that was not a good idea. Plus, Ty really seemed to like me and he didn't seem to be a "douche" like Ed. " Aren't you here with Annabelle?" " Yes, but Im not WITH her," he said with added emphasis. " Sure looks that way to me." "Lyla, i can explain.." " Ed, you dont have to explain anything, we are friends and you have shown me that is all you want to be." " Im having fun, please don't ruin my night." " Lyla.." but i had already walked away.
     Annabelle was told to leave after taking a bottle of wine from the bar. Mrs. Jones called a cab, so she would get home safely. Ed looked embarrassed and maybe even a little disappinted as they both left the party. I heard later that Annabelle threw up in the cab, on the way home. Michaela left with her boyfriend shortly after, declaring the party as "lame". I didnt get a midnight kiss, but i did exchange numbers with Ty, who had to leave early, to go to his brother's party. Rayanne had given Jake her number, too. I apologized profusely for Annabelle's behavior, I had had no idea she would even show up. Mrs. Jonea said she knew it wasn't my fault, she didn't blame me at all. With glasses of sparkling cider, Rayanne and I toasted  the new year, and threw confetti in the air. We left the party at 12:15.
    Ed had called me three times but i knew i didn't want to call him back. He had Annabelle, why couldn't he leave me alone?