Chapter 16

"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 16

      Will stood across the room, staring hesitantly at his mate.  He could hear the sound of her heart beating wildly in her chest and he could smell her fear permeating the air between them.  He hated knowing that he was the one making her feel this way and right now, he wanted nothing more than to go to her, scoop her up in his arms and hold on to her so tightly that all of that fear would evaporate into nothingness.

     But he was no fool.  She didn't want his touch right now and no matter how badly his wolf ached for her; he would force himself to hold back.  He had to, for her.

     He tried his best to offer her a smile but it fell off of the corner of his lips.  It was so hard to see that look coming from her.  That frightened look.  Turning his gaze to the floor, he started to stutter,  "Um," and stopped when he felt his hands begin to twitch with an unbearable need.  The need to just touch her.  

     But now wasn't the time, he reminded himself and in order to keep his hands from doing something that he may regret later, he stuffed them in his pockets and tried to get a better hold of himself.  He had Alpha blood running through his veins, he needed to act like it.  Lifting his head, he looked back at her and asked, "Are you feeling any better?”

     Raven wasn't all too sure how to answer that.  She stared back at him and despite what she had seen earlier, the man standing only feet away seemed to be the same gentle man that knew all the right things to say in order to make her laugh.  It was an enigma of sorts, strange and yet fascinating all at the same time.

     He lifted his brows expectantly, paitiently waiting for her answer.

      “Yeah and no," she finally conceded after a long moment.  "Physically, I feel better but mentally, I'm having a real hard time putting all of this together."  She was a little confused and a whole lot of overwhelmed right now and just wasn't sure what to do about it.  "So," she drawled out, hugging his pillow close to her chest, "You're a werewolf, huh?”

     Will shrugged his shoulders, feeling extremely exposed at the moment.  He tried to laugh it off somewhat but he made himself feel even more like a young pup than he ever had in his life. “Yup," he told her, trying his best to hold her gaze, ”I am indeed a lycanthrope."

     "Mmm, lycanthrope," she repeated, looking thoughtful.  "Is that some sort of politically correct term for werewolf or something?"

     That earned a genuine smile from Will.  "Politically correct, I've never really thought about it like that but I suppose that's a good way to put it."

     "And Christopher is one too?  A lycanthrope I mean.”

     Will nodded.  "Yes," he said carefully, "Our whole family has lycanthrope blood running through us."  He continued to watch his little mate and the fact that she wasn't running and screaming from him gave him some semblance of hope that maybe not all is lost.