Chapter 35

"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 35

Eight months, two weeks later

     Sitting at the kitchen table in their new two bedroom apartment, Will was studying intently for his upcoming physics test.  Raven had gone to lie down about an hour ago and the last time that he checked on her she was sleeping away.  He stood at the door for quite a while admiring how nicely her belly had rounded out with his pup before finally deciding that he needed to put his nose in the books.  He had been at for over thirty minutes when he first heard her scream.

     Dropping the pencil on the table, Will jumped to his feet and ran to the room, pulling to a stop in the doorway.  Raven stood across from, face pale as a ghost.  “Honey,” he said, already eating up the distance between them, “What’s wrong?”  He ran his hands down her arms, over her belly, looking for any sign of injury, and came up empty.

     She blankly stared back at him for a moment before her gaze dropped to the floor.  He instantly looked down to see what she was looking at and noticed the puddle of water that she was standing in.  Feeling his own insides quiver, he swallowed.  “Sweetheart, is that what I think it is?”

     Raven looked down once again and opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out.  She knew what it was; the real question should be was she ready for it?  “Um…uh…..”

     Will took a breath and tried to remain calm even though his heart was drumming away in his chest.  He lifted his hand and rubbed up and down her back, trying to soothe his mate and put some color back into her cheeks.

     After several minutes passed, he gathered his wits and tried again.  “Sweetheart, can you tell me what happened?” He made sure to keep his tone soft despite the anxiety he was feeling.  If what he thought happened is what really happened, he had to keep a cool head.

     She stared straight at him, her brown eyes wide as saucers.  Raven perched her hands on her belly.  “I….I think my water just broke,” she sputtered.

     Even though that’s what Will thought happened, now that it was confirmed, it was his turn to give Raven the blank stare.  For the next few moments, neither of them could speak, much less move.  They just stood there, rooted to the tiled floor and watched each other until the first contraction hit. 

     “Aw gawd,” she groaned and grabbed Will’s hand, squeezing it in a vice grip. From what she had read, contractions started light and far apart.  Not this one, it hit with a vengeance and hurt like hell.

     That was all it took for Will to get hid butt in gear.  He remembered the breathing techniques from the Lamaze classes they attended and worked to coax her through the contraction.  In theory it was a great idea, but in reality, Raven thought it sucked.  Squeezing the hell out of his hand was much more satisfying. 

     Slowly, she let go of his hand and closed her eyes.