Chapter 27

"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 27

     Will held on tight to Raven as he carried her back to their room.  He kept his nose buried deep in her hair; letting himself inhale her distinct scent of peaches and crème, reassuring his wolf that she was safe and that she was alive.

     Walking into the room, he went straight to the bed.  Taking a seat, he propped himself on the head board and cradled his mate tightly to his chest.  His wolf still angered over the fact this him mate had been placed in danger and he wouldn’t be satisfied until the person that was responsible, paid dearly for what they did.  But right now, what mattered most was his Raven’s health.

     Bending down, he pressed his lips to her temple.  She had fallen into a deep sleep and he didn’t dare to wake her.  There was such an innocence that radiated from her when she slept, so soft so sweet.  She didn’t deserve everything that has been thrown at her over the last year; no one did.

     Fingering the necklace that had been blessed by the Moon Goddess herself, Will whispered in the dark, not realizing he was talking aloud.  “Thank the goddess that you’re still with me, sweetheart.”  He took great care in placing the pendant against her skin so she wouldn’t wake and lightly touched her cheek.  “I would’ve never been able to live with my self if something had happened to you today."

     Saying those words, the realization of what all could have happened sank in.  He could have lost her.  Laying his hand across her stomach, he fought back the fear that knotted thickly in his throat.  If she was already carrying his pup like he thought she may be, he could have lost that too. 

     One mistake.  He made one small mistake by trusting her safety with another and in less than an hour, he almost lost everything that he held dear. 

     Never again.  As long as he lived, he would never make that mistake again.   

     For the next several hours, Will just lay there on the bed, watching and petting his mate as she slept. He was content to tousle individual curls around his fingers, tugging at them and smiling when they sprung back into perfect shape.  He caressed the smooth, creamy skin on her cheeks, memorizing every line and every curve to her face.  He loved to just hold her, interlacing his much larger fingers with hers, in awe of the sheer size difference of their hands.  From time to time, her eyes fluttered or her lips would purse a certain way that made her look absolutely adorable in sleep. 

     A vibration rumbled in Wills back pocket.  He held Raven close to him, awkwardly trying to sit up and pull out his phone, while not disturbing his little mate in the process.  It was a trying process but after a long minute, he managed to wrench it free.  Lifting the phone to his ear, he whispered,  "Hello."

     Skipping all of the preliminary introductions, Matt jumped right in, letting his worry for his soon-to-be Luna seep through his words.  "How’s Raven?"

     Will looked down at his mate and caressed the back of her neck.  "From what I can tell, okay?  She’s been asleep ever since we came back to the room and I haven’t tried to wake her. Did you find any leads on Kevin?"