CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Cassie's mates were oblivious to her slow detoriation. She was good at hiding it. Around them, she was happy, but for each glare, each sneer and each spiteful whisper, she added cuts to her arm. Over the days and weeks, the cuts became deeper, and she only pretended to eat at meals. She could barely keep anything down. She wasn't doing it intentionaly, but the little voice in the back of her mind, always whispering that she would never be good enough, was making her give up. Slowly but surely, step by step. This went on until the day came when Cassie could no longer hide her damaged skin, or food-deprived body (she had lost all appetite, and barely ate anymore due to her depression-she wasn't anorexic) from her soulmates.

She was standing infront of a mirror, eyes glassy with sadness as she took in her skinny, weak, almost boyish frame. Suddenly Will and Ryder were behind her, looking at her curiously. She tried to smile, but it looked fake even to her. A single tear dripped down her cheek, she quickly wiped it off. But, not quick enough. They had seen. They carried her to their bed, and lay her down. Ryder slowly made the connection between her seeing her reflection, and the tears. He slowly took in her skinnier-than-ever frame, and her tired, sad eyes. He growled and told Will through the mindlink. Both were furious. Cassie pulled her baggy sleeves down lower, a new nervous habit. Will saw it, and said curtly, 'Take off your hoodie now kitty, or so help me.'

'No, please! Please Ryder, please! I'm sorry! It's nothing, promise!' She whimpered, yanking her sleeves down harder. 'Kitty.' he said in a warning tone, eyes beyond furious as his jaw tightened. She shrunk away. Suddenly, her hands were pinned above her head as Will roughly pulled the hoodie over her head. Cassie twisted and thrashed, but in vain. They had seen it.

Tears gently trickled down her face as Will and Ryder slowly pulled off her shorts and tank top, leaving her in her lingerie. Their eyes took in the thin scarlet cuts, parallel up and down her arms. They roved over her prominent ribcage, and her flat, empty stomach. Their grip tightened possesivley, and suddenly Damon and Jace were in room, looking furious. Then their eyes fell on her body. They exploded.