Chapter Three

DeAndre

My head broke the surface of the water, and I gasped, quickly scanning for Cami. I breathed a sigh of relief when I found her sputtering behind me. I closed the distance between us as laughter filled the air from the edge of the pool. I ignored them as I grabbed Cami's arm and gently tugged her to me. She wiped her hair away from her face, and thin black rivulets of mascara streamed down her cheeks.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned. I'd fallen on top of her when we'd hit the water.

Her skin immediately flushed a lovely shade of pink. "I will be after the humiliation settles."

I allowed myself to grin then. "I tried to warn you."

She grimaced. "I know, but I didn't realize what you meant until it was too late. Sorry."

"Are you two all right?" My mom's concerned voice floated above us.

"You know they have swimsuits you could've borrowed in the pool house. You didn't have to shove her in," Chris drawled out in a joking manner.

I glanced up at him as I started leading Cami toward the steps. "You're hilarious. Why don't you do something useful, like get us some towels?" I didn't think Cami had realized her white blouse was practically transparent now.

While I was enjoying the view, I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of everyone else seeing it. She'd be embarrassed if she realized.

Chris and Jayda appeared at the end of the pool with stacks of the fluffy, white towels my parents kept nearby. I helped Cami up the steps, and Jayda quickly wrapped her in a towel.

"What happened?" My mom asked, joining us as I tried to wring the water out of my pants.

"I took a step backward, not realizing how close I was to the water. DeAndre tried to catch me, but I took him down with me."

"Jayda is it okay if I go raid any clothes you have left in your closet? I think you're the closest size to Cami."

"Of course, anything you need."

"Thank you," Cami said graciously. "I'm so sorry for the trouble."

"No trouble whatsoever."

I quickly kicked off my shoes, and wrapped a towel around me. "Follow me," I said with a nod.

She followed behind me, "I'm so embarrassed." She whispered once we were out of earshot.

I wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Don't be. Accidents happen. Besides it gives me an opportunity to have you all to myself for a bit."

She smiled. "But I'm a chlorine mess now."

We climbed the staircase. "That's okay. My old room has a private bathroom. You can get showered while I find something for you to wear in Jayda's closet."

"Is there any chance she might have a hair tie or something I can put my hair in a ponytail with? It'll be a frizzy mess without all my hair products to calm it down."

"I'll check. I'm sure I can find something somewhere," I replied, stopping to open the door to my room. I gestured for her to enter and stepped in behind her.