Chapter Twenty Seven

Hyland

"Which one's the right place?" I asked Chris. "There's another one down the street."

"I don't know. She said the storage unit on Oracle Road. This was the first one I looked up."

"We need to text her back."

"She isn't going to answer, Hyland. She was lucky to get the text out to us while Jason was sleeping."

"I guess we'll stake out both of them then. Which one do you want?"

"I guess I'll take this one," he replied.

"You know what? I have a much better idea. Call dispatch and tell them we need a search warrant. You said it was unit thirty-two right?"

"Yeah, that's what Mary said."

"I'm going to flash my badge and tell the owners the warrant is on the way. They can call to verify if they need. If we open the right one, it's going to have the money in it, correct?"

Chris shrugged. "If he left it in plain sight."

"Well, he's got to have something in there that'll prove it belongs to him."

"And if he makes an appearance while you're in there?"

I lifted the police radio in my hand. "You'll warn me, and I'll arrest him. Besides, all the other guys should be in place soon. It's not like we don't have back up."

"Be careful. I don't want to be the one telling your mom and Cami you got shot again."

"I will be. Besides, I'm wearing my bulletproof vest this time, and I know you've still got my back." I punched him in the shoulder and climbed out of the car.

There was a thin, dark-haired young man sitting behind a counter in the office reading a magazine. He looked up when I walked in, his stare immediately going to the weapon in my shoulder holster. "Can I help you?"

"Yes," I replied, slipping my badge off my belt and laying it on the counter. "I'm Officer Jordan. We received a tip that a murder suspect we're trying to apprehend may be coming to retrieve belongings at a storage unit he rents. We aren't sure if it was at this location or the one down the road. My dispatcher is sending a search warrant. You're also welcome to call the station yourself to verify this. I'm wondering if you could check your records and tell me who unit number thirty two is registered to."

"Sure. No problem," he said, quickly going to his computer and tapping in a few things.

"I'm showing it registered to a Jamie Valdez. Does that sound familiar?"

I shook my head. "No, it doesn't." I got on the secure radio channel Chris and I had. "This unit is registered to a Jamie Valdez. Does that sound familiar?"

"No, I don't recognize that name from any of the information we were given," Chris radioed back. "I'd check it out anyway. He could have it registered under a false name, or it could be a friend's storage unit he keeps things in."

"Copy," I replied, turning my attention back to the man at the counter. "Would it be possible for you to open this for me? I just want to look inside. I won't touch anything."