Chapter Seven

PSA: I changed LeBron to Jason Derulo. Thought Bron was a good choice but then I changed my mind!

Cami

I stared down at the text from an unknown number on my phone.

UNKNOWN NUMBER:
I can't take it anymore. It's been 3 weeks and I might actually die if I don't get to see you.

I knew exactly who it was from, and my heart skipped a beat. Was I dreaming of him again? Another text beeped in before I could respond.

UNKNOWN NUMBER:
I'm going to send you an address and I want you to meet me there. It's an automotive store. Drive my car and park to the side of the building. Lift the hood and sit in the the car with the door locked.

Lift the hood? That's a weird request, I thought. I waited for more.

UNKNOWN NUMBER:
Write down the address and then delete these texts. I'm taking a big risk with this.

The freeway was busy with the evening rush hour traffic. Coming from a small town, I always forgot to take that kind of stuff into account and I tapped my fingers against the wheel, hoping it wouldn't slow me down too much.

In the end, it wasn't too bad—only about fifteen minutes later than I thought. Parking, I glanced around the lot and realized DeAndre wasn't here. At least, I wasn't sure if he was, since I'd forgotten to ask him what he was driving.

Getting out, I went to the front of the vehicle, released the hood, and glanced around the parking lot one more time. There was no sign of him, so I got back into the car. It was nerve wracking sitting here alone. From the looks of all the graffiti on the buildings, this was a much rougher neighborhood than I was used to. Suddenly I recalled DeAndre telling me to lock the doors. I quickly pushed the button, feeling safer when the loud click sounded.

It was pretty dark when a flashy red and black Camaro pulled up beside me. There he was in the driver's seat, and I felt my pulse rate jump into high speed.

I quickly climbed out of the car, not even bothering to close the door behind me, running over. DeAndre got out to meet me, pushing me back in front of the vehicle where the hood was raised. He glanced around quickly, before hugging me tightly.

"Man, I've missed you so much," he said, burying his face into my hair and placed a kiss on my forehead. "I'm sorry to drag you all the way out here, but I couldn't take it any longer."

"I miss you too. How much longer do we have to do this?" I wrapped my arms around his waist squeezing him tightly, not wanting to let go. It felt so good to be back in his arms.

"I don't know—I wish I could tell you, but I won't be able to stay here long." He released me and stepped away with a longing look in his eyes, before he ducked his head under the hood and started looking at the engine. "Stand over here with me and pretend you're watching."

I did as he asked, wondering what was going on.

"Just in case I was followed here, we need to make this look believable. Do you have your phone on you?"

"I do," I replied, pulling it out of pocket.

"Great. I need you to send me a text asking for help with your car."