Chapter Thirteen

DeAndre

This one was going to be a piece of cake. I had the truck to myself this time, Jason trusting me to go out on my own this go around. I did as he'd taught, driving through some of the classier parts of town looking for vehicles parked in illegal loading zones. Jason explained that rich people were lazy. Either they don't care about parking tickets, or they think they're entitled to closer parking. No one would think anything of a tow truck picking up a car parked there.

We'd stolen several that weren't parked illegally too. It appeared the general public turned a blind eye to vehicles being towed. He had quite the racket going on here. Jarvis and Damian worked for different garages too, so the trucks were rotated. It seemed no one had a clue about what he was doing, either. No one but me, that was.

Now I was in on the action, growing closer to the guys all the time. They were still pretty tight-lipped about anything to do with Manny, though. That made me a bit suspicious, like they were trying to hide something, which only made me more determined to wheedle it out of them.

It was time to finish this and bust these guys. I was beyond tired of watching someone else manhandle my girl, and lately Mary seemed to be really into kissing me whenever Cami was around. If I didn't know better, I'd think she was jealous of her.

I pulled in front of the bright-yellow Porsche resting halfway in the red fire zone and backed up to it. I dropped the yoke and slid it under the vehicle, clamping before lifting the hydraulic arm and driving away. I hadn't even stepped a foot out of the truck, and I'd stolen the car in less than a minute. It was almost too easy. Someone was going to walk out to the sidewalk and get a big shock when they found their car missing.

I drove back to Jason's warehouse, being sure to take the streets that would have the least amount of traffic on them. I called him on the phone right before I got there, so they'd know to open the doors. Jason was waiting, lifting the garage doors on the backside of the building as soon as I flashed my headlights in the prearranged signal. I drove into the lit space, and they closed the door to the well-camouflaged building behind me.

I noticed Cami immediately. She was sitting at an old desk with her schoolbooks spread out on the top, a pen stuck into her hair, busy typing away at the computer. She'd become a fairly permanent figure around here, something I was both happy and upset about. I loved being able to see her, but constantly worried about her safety. Jason had kept his distance from her like he'd promised – not pushing her to do anything she didn't want to do. It didn't stop him from kissing her, though, and I often had to watch the two of them snuggling together. He practically doted on her, always super attentive to anything she needed.

This past week of observing them had left me feeling murderous most of the time. I often had to leave the room when he kissed her, teasing and playing with her until she kissed him back. He was determined to bring her out of her shell, and it drove me insane. I knew she was only acting her role and doing it to protect me, but I suddenly understood how she felt about watching me with Mary. This lie wasn't easy for either of us to live, and I often caught her staring at me longingly before she'd quickly glance away.

"Looks like you've got a beauty," Jason said approaching the vehicle as I got out, tearing my gaze away from Cami.

"Yeah, another sucker parked in a loading zone. When will people learn?" I shook my head, and Jason laughed, coming to drape an arm around my neck.

"I knew you'd make a great addition to the team. Congrats on your first solo run."

I chuckled. "Thanks. It was almost anticlimactic, though."