Chapter four- And He's a Poet Too

It wasn't the first time here at detention after school but its not a common place for me either. Locked up like a prisoner. These walls though blue always seemed to appear grey like an old cell. God I hated detention. The deputy principal always ran it but not today...

The walls weren't grey and I didn't feel like a prisoner...

A careless substitute sat at the teachers desk with the detention role.

"Elliot Flinders" I announced as I passed the teacher to sit next to the girl with the ice pack to her mouth, at the other side of the room.

"My miss millers, what are you doing in here," I asked, "I thought you were good"

"Apparently sarcasm doesn't do so well when your having a mock court in class," she answered removing the ice pack to show her swollen fat lip which was clearly split open, "what did you do sunshine?"

I hesitated before answering. My reason wasn't near as interesting as hers.

"umm..I kinda fell asleep in my math class and when grumpy old man Mr.Jensen woke me up, instead of apologising I decided to say yolo"

Blondey started cracking up laughing although you could tell it hurt her mouth to smile and laugh. I looked back to the teacher expecting to be given a glare for our noisiness but the teacher had disappeared. Millers and I were going to be the only ones left in the room. The three guys who had also been in the room were sneaking out.

I looked back to blondey next to me. "So...do you have a first name or is it just miss millers?"

"The names Cassidy," she replied, "and yours?"

"Elliot Flinders"

I watched in amusement as she mumbled my name in her mouth, tasting each syllable as they rolled off of her tongue.

"Elliot Flinders, may you be the greatest sailor to travel the seas," she spoke as she stood up from her chair, "May you travel to the four corners of the earth til it no longer spins," she continued, walking to the board, "and finally may you tell me of your adventures, of your stories and of the beauty of the world," she looked back at me as she spoke.

I was kinda confused. I couldn't quite understand what she was going on about. Finally she stepped away from the board. Although a little messy, she had drawn an impeccable ship. She smiled at me. I think she was waiting for me to continue her in her little story telling moment.

"A sailor I'm not. A sailor I am. I travel no seas yet I travel far. I've seen no corners, only that of a page, a book or a square." I begin to answer while refusing to look Cassidy in the eyes. "The earth spins but my world does not. In my place I stay while you continue to move around. I can tell you my adventures. I can tell you my stories. but never can I tell you the beauty of this world."

After I had finished, I hesitantly looked at Cassidy. She had a gleeful beam in her eyes that made me feel uneasy. I watched as she wrote 'And he's a poet too' on the board.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think this is my favourite chapter so far. I'm not much of a poetry writer but I think I've done not a bad job.