Chapter five-Rainy Thoughts

Its the day after my detention with Cassidy. I'm in deep thought as I walk home from school. I'm walking in the rain if you want to be even more exact. Its one of my favourite things in the world. The gentle splash of each individual droplet against your burning skin.

I didn't see Cassidy at school today. Although I've only known her for only just a day, I kinda missed her. Ever since high school started, I've had trouble making friends. I guess its because I'm a pretty quiet guy until you try to have a conversation with me.

It probably doesn't help that I'm sometimes submerged inside my book; my book of poetry. Cassidy's the only person ever to find out I'm a poet at heart. I try not to scream it out to the world. I already get bullied enough as it is.

English has always been my favourite subject and in grade six when we did a unit on poetry, I don't know, I guess it just kinda stuck with me. The way innocent words standing alone on a page can weave themselves into a wonder of words.

Its the way words like psychosis sounds like a snake. And it is. No matter how much I try to distract myself with the thoughts of the rain and Cassidy and poetry...

I just cant help but feel like there is something behind me following.

I gradually quicken my walking pace as to not seem suspicious.

Is there something there?

I refuse to look.

A black blur creeps up beside me on both sides.

There's the sound of a car horn to my right.

I jump six foot in the air.

Wait, what? A car horn?

I look to my right to see Cassidy sitting in a black Holden motioning me into the car. I smile, briefly forgetting about the other black blur; the one which had appeared on my left, and get into the car.

"Deep in thought while walking in the rain. How cliche," Cassidy mumbled before flashing a smile at me as I entered the car.

"64 Kelvin Road, please," I smiled back.

Cassidy reached for the radio and cranked the volume before she began driving me home. Rapunzel by Drapht was playing. I haven't heard this song in years.

As soon as the chorus rolled in, Cassidy burst out singing.

"RAPUNZEL, GOTTA LET YOUR HAIR DOWN, GIRL, GOTTA LET YOUR HAIR DOWN, I'M TIRED OF FIGHTING, WE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE NOW"

I began cracking up laughing which only made her sing even louder.

"GOTTA LET YOUR HAIR DOWN, GIRL, GOTTA LET YOUR HAIR DOWN, WHY WE TRYING? WE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE NOW"

God this girl was a goof. But she had to be the best goof there is.

We stopped at a traffic light in the middle of her singing the second chorus. If Cassidy was aware of the strange looks we were getting she certainly didn't care.

It was getting towards the end of the song when we arrived at my house.

"Thanks for the lift," I said as I grabbed my bag.

"Sure thing Mr.Poet," she replied with a smile.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks so much for reading my book. Hope you're enjoying it.