Chapter Eight

Frank P.O.V

I had slept on the floor in Mary's room, her hand resting on my head. My limbs were stiff and my back ached. My fingers cracked as they gripped the steering wheel, the early afternoon sunlight streaming into my eyes. I smiled, enjoying the heat that was pleasantly warming my body.

I pulled up in front of a grocery store, sighing as the purring engine of my car cut off. I didn't appreciate the blinding sunlight that was shining right into my eyes. It was making my life more difficult by making me stumble weakly over to the door. The shopkeeper smiled as the little bell over my head rang, my eyesight almost returning to normal. My eyes scanned the shelves, looking for something to distract myself with as I aimlessly wrote my songs. Anything but more alcohol, something colourful. Candy. Anything with sugar in it. My hands curled around a yellow packet, listening to the bell sound as somebody else entered the room.

I couldn't quite see them, but I knew that I wanted to avoid any conversations, even with the guy that ran the place. I kept my head down, gravitating towards the old refrigerator at the back of the store. Whoever else was in the store was close to me, their steps growing closer and closer. I panicked, walking a little quicker, sweet relief as my eyes were met with bottles and bottles of amber liquid. I felt like a kid in a candy store; secretly feeling morally defeated. I had told myself that I wasn't allowed any more, but when had I ever listened to myself? Never. My hand went to grab a bottle of whiskey, but was met with another hand.

I had accidentally grabbed it, the skin pale and white. I flinched, bringing my hand away, stepping backwards to apologise to whoever it was. It was the guy from yesterday with his smart suit and attractive gaze. I felt the pit of my stomach want to throw itself into a garbage can. My mouth opened a little, unable to utter a single word.

"Sorry, did you want that one?" He asked politely, acting completely casual. Unlike me, who was mentally freaking out.

"Uh, sure. But you can take it if you like?" I stammered, digging my hands into my pockets. He turned to me, eyes squinting, lips threatening to curl into a smile. He took the bottle from the refrigerator, pointing the bottle at me.

"Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. I buy this, you meet me afterwards to drink it." He raised an eyebrow, my stomach sent into flutters. My lips parted in an attempt to answer; an attempt to say no. I didn't need any other friends, other than Mary. She was close to bringing a baby into the world and wanted me by her side at all times. I couldn't let her down, she relied on me.
"It doesn't matter if you don't want to, I'll probably need this afterwards anyway. If you want to, I'm at the motel down the street. Room 204." He tapped my shoulder, turning on his heel. His hazel eyes imploring me to follow him. I shuddered, hands growing clammy and wet.

He stopped at the door, before opening it. I wanted to run away, to hide myself away from the entire world. That awkward encounter was completely unnecessary, and I couldn't help but feel like he had done it on purpose.
By motel down the street, did he mean the dingy one that I had been staying at for months? I didn't remember seeing him, maybe he had a day job or something. His flashy suits and expensive aroma told me that I was correct. I almost felt sad that he was leaving, but I managed to sweep that sensation away. Instead, I grabbed more candy for Mary, paid for it, speed-walking from the store back to my car. His car had only just left the lot- he was doing it on purpose.

I sighed, slamming my door as I plonked myself down in the driver's seat. I tried to resist the temptation of stuffing all of the candy into my mouth- by the thought of disappointing Mary upset me. Sighing again, I threw the car into reverse, heading out of the lot myself.
Driving past the motel, I noticed his flashy car parked near the entrance. Damn, I thought. There was no way of escaping him. I couldn't go back to the motel, he'd know that I was back. He probably knew my car.

I worried the entire way back to Mary's, her face twisting into a frown as I almost ran from my car.
"Did you get my M&M's?" She asked, I placed them gently into the palm of her dainty hands, watching her brow furrow. "What happened to you?" She asked with a nervous laugh, shutting out the cold, dragging me back to the lounge.

"Nothing." I shrugged, fidgeting in my seat.

"Is it a boy?" She joked, looking around for her dad. I was quite sure that he knew about my secret, it was if he sort of sensed it. Probably because his daughter had gotten pregnant out of wedlock, and there was no sign of the father anywhere in town. He was an intelligent man, but he was vicious. Not very caring towards his pregnant daughter and unborn grandchild- making her go out and run all of his errands. I rolled my eyes, trying to pretend that it wasn't.
"It is, isn't it?" She giggled, poking my playfully in the shoulder.
-------------------------------------------------------
Song Of The Chapter- Bella Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus

A.N
I'm getting shite at updating now, mostly because I'm soooo damnnnn busyyy!!! I try and make spare time to do hobbies but I really really don't, it's quite sad ):