Chapter Forty-Three

Gerard P.O.V

Mikey had managed to save his outbursts in the last months. There were no more impromptu visits to our home, and no more harassment towards my family. Frank, Campbell and I began to feel safe in our home- for the first time since I had bought the place. Campbell's little shuffles were turning into huge strides, making him less and less tameable. Frank and I would have to hold onto the little thing to stop him from running into oncoming cars.

His first birthday was ever-looming, and Frank and I had never been so excited. We knew that he would never remember it, but we would savour every little moment. As far as gifts went, the boy would've been happy with a cardboard box to play with. However, due to Frank's persistence, we had bought him a hell of a lot. Too much for a baby of his age in my opinion. But, the love of my life was happy, and our son was thriving. I looked over my desk, to see him sat on the floor, a wooden block in his hand. He liked to hit them against the ground, listening to the echoes that they would make in the hallway. I chuckled, listening to him talk his little baby-babble to himself. He had been more vocal in the past few days than in all of the twelve months of his life crammed together. After all, it was his first birthday. Letting out a huge sigh, I pushed out from behind my desk, standing up. Peering over it, I noticed that he was standing up, shaking his block in his hand with loud baby shrieks. I picked him up, spinning him around, his shrieks turning into uncontrollable laughter. I chuckled, dangling him over my shoulder as he laughed. I took him from my office, taking him down the stairs.

"Sounds like you two are having a lot of fun." Frank chuckled from the lounge. I carried the baby into the room, placing him down gently. He was still laughing as he toddled over to Frank, who picked him up and showered him with kisses. He sat down on Frank's knee, showing him the blue block in his hand. Frank nodded, as though his baby-babbling made any sense to him. I sat down next to Frank, as he put Campbell down on the floor. He shrieked again, running over to the toy-box that my dad had made for him. I rested my head on Frank's shoulder, his hand reaching up to cup my cheek. "Your mom's finished making his cake. The part starts at two, and I am so excited to see him in his little outfit." Frank grinned, making me smile. I kissed him, running a hand through his hair. I pulled away, he pouted.

"I'm really excited, baby. You've done a great job getting everything and everybody together, I'm really proud of you." I kissed him again, listening to him giggle. "I also want to thank you for allowing Mikey to come, he's doing a lot better now. He's medicated. I promise that he's safe." I said, making sure that his eyes were on mine.

"I trust you Gee. I know that it means a lot to you to have him here. If only I could have my parents and my siblings here. But, I'm not going to complain, they'd only ruin the entire day." He said, waving his statement away. I frowned, pulling him into a long hug. He nuzzled into my arm as I rocked him from side to side. He sighed, pulling away from me, putting on his best smile. He shuffled after Campbell, who was already trying to make his way over to the kitchen.

->.<-

My mom, dad, Mikey, my two loves and I found ourselves sat around a blue table in our garden. Mikey had been eerily quiet the entire time, whilst the rest of us laughed for hours. The entire time he was staring at Campbell- it was as though they were reading each other's mind. I squeezed the baby, getting his attention. Frank had brought out his huge cake, and his little toddler eyes lit up like the Fourth of July. He smiled, Mikey smiled, in the back of my mind I knew that there was something strange going on in my brother's tired mind. Given the occasion, I kept a smile, as well as keeping a close eye on him. I didn't want him spoiling anything, or stealing my child for that matter.