KABANATA 12

Supposed to be mag-isa lang akong pupunta sa bayan. Antonio is busy with the Katipunan stuff. Aling Isay and Mang Nestor are busy in the rice fields. But guess who tag along?

"Grabe pala kayong mayayaman. Konting lakad lang, pagod na agad."

Sino pa ba? There's only one person here who loves mocking me. Karlos.

I glared at him, "Ba't ba sumama ka, ha?"

He grinned, "I cannot let you die, y'know. Going to the town alone means danger for people like you."

Namewang ako at mataray siyang tinignan, "May gusto ka bang iparating."

"Well, people like are the type who easily gets into trouble because of their attitude," he mocked. "So, I have to be there to keep an eye on you."

"What am I? A kid?"

"Our age gap is nine-hundred and seventy-six years, so yeah, you're still a kid."

I looked at him, wearing an unconvinced expression, "You expect me to believe that?"

"I don't. Anyway, let's go. You have to be home before it gets dark." I got a glimpse of how his expression change before he turned his back. "The whole Manila is under martial law. And you're not dumb to not know what martial law means."

That's right. After the battle in Pasong-bato and San Juan del Monte, the spaniards declared martial law. Anyone they find suspicious will be thrown to jail without due process. I also heard from Antonio that the day after the battle in Manila, the members of the the Katipunan who were captured were shot to death. And now, they're imposing martial law.

"Bilisan mo na!"

I was pulled out from my thoughts at nag-umpisang maglakad.

Aling Isay asked me to buy vegetables in Mang Gorio's shop. I said yes. The old couple was really busy because it's the time of the year to harvest their crops. Antonio's very busy in the Katipunan. After the first battle, eight provinces also joined the revolution. Kaya kabi-kabila ang mga laban sa buong bansa.

I'm glad na hindi pa nasasali sa laban ang bayan na 'to. I don't want and I don't imagine myself being in a battle.

"Nga pala, Kristin."

"Could you at least use honorifics when saying my name?"

"Why would I? I'm hundred years older than you, you should be the one using honorifics."

"Argh. I hate you." I said, annoyed.

"I don't like you either." I rolled my eyes heavenward at naunang maglakad. I don't have to deal with a brat like him.

"Mukhang close na kayo ni Antonio. May payakap-yakap pa kayong nalalaman. Kulang nalang isipin kong nasa isang movie kayo. Kulang nalang popcorn."

I felt my cheeks heat up. I stopped on my tracks saka siya hinarap, "Y-you saw us?!"

He shrugged, "I can see everything."

Napatakip ako ng bibig. He saw us. The scene by the river. That awkward moment. I was hoping no one would see us. That'd be really embarrasing. Pero nakita ng walang-hiyang batang 'to. And now, he's teasing me.

I glared at Karlos. I wanna twist that tiny little head of his.

"Don't fall for him," nabigla ako sa sinabi nito.

"W-what?"

"I said, don't fall in love with him." he restated.

'Yung kaninang namumula kong pisngi ay mas lalo pang namula. Pakiramdam ko din natuyo ang lalamunan ko.