Chapter 1: Legs

Something warm pulled me close into them while something soft glided over me

Something warm pulled me close into them while something soft glided over me. My toes wiggled while my wolf yawned in my brain; we both felt like we had been dead like a rock. The soft pitter-patter of what sounded like rain started to wake me up, along with thunder that almost calmed me down rather than frightened me.

I turned, my body was sore–like it had been through some sort of meat grinder. My head was starting to dully throb, like I had a hangover. I turned over again to see a glass of water and three ibuprofen on my bedside table with a sticky note that said, 'Take these, love E–as in Evan because Ethan couldn't find the ibuprofen.'

Smiling as tears prickled at the corner of my eyes, Ethan pulled me back to him, he fidgeted slightly–tucking his head into the crook of my neck and sleepily inhaling. My breath almost hitched when I caught a glimpse, because for a good while in that cage I was convinced I wouldn't see him again.

Tears beat at my eyes again but I pushed them back. I scooted over a hair and reached out for the medicine–tossing it back and chasing it with water that tasted way better than I anticipated; it quenched a thirst that didn't realize that I even had.

"Want me to get you some more water?" he murmured against my shoulder.

"Please," I replied back in a voice barely above a whisper.

I felt Ethan slide out of bed, his presence leaving me which immediately made my wolf whine. He walked into the bathroom, turning on the sink while I curled back into the warmth of the covers in our bed. My nose turned to the pillow, inhaling the scent that was him and our home all mixed together like its own blanket around me.

"Here," he murmured to me, his hand extending a glass to me while he slid onto the bed to sit next to me.

I took the glass and chugged it down while I tried to sit up a bit. Ethan took the glass from me after I was done, then walked back into the bathroom and filled it up again. Wiping my mouth, I scooted over as he set the cup down on the nightstand; he slid into bed, his hand reaching out to push my hair back.

"How do you feel?"

I shook my head as I rubbed my face, my brain was still groggy and my beast and I were still tired. "Like I was in a nightmare."

Ethan opened his mouth and closed it before he looked back up at me. His thumb rubbing the edge of my jaw and his eyes looking over me like I was about to vanish. "I'm sorry, I should have–"

"It's not your fault," I quickly rushed out. "They just came, there was nothing we could have done."

He let out a hot breath then pulled me closer to him, carefully so my head was cradled on his shoulder. "Sam said that it would be probably another day before it was all out of your system."

"How long have I been out?" I murmured against his skin.

He eyed me warily as fingers started to play with my hair. "Two days."