Chapter 18: Balance

-----------------------------------------

Levi

-----------------------------------

People have asked me time and time again what I would do; if I could bring them back, would I do it?

The answer was always yes. There was no doubt in my mind that I could bring my mate and pups back if I would. I would have done it in a heartbeat.

When I saw her–saw her across that portal that was shining up with moonlight between the rock that had split, I still wanted to. I wanted to run to her and pull her out to me; I wanted to join her because even after all these years she looked like a damn angel.

That is until now.

Until now when I all I could do was stand horrified in my place as three of my own lay before me; my daughter, my son, and my nephew.

I don't know why she did it–why the hell she would save Dominic. I don't know why Liam would do it–Lucas was already dead. Liam was not, but now Liam was clutching his belly while David clutched at the wound on his chest as Lander hovered over him and held his hand, Bernard trying to save him.

And there was me.

I knelt down next to Lucas, next to my son. My first baby. He had missed the portal.

I had been watching with my mouth open as a man with blue eyes like my Charlie girl's walked out of the portal and over to her as her veins turned a dark midnight blue. He sliced his palm and held it over her wound, murmuring things to her before he kissed her forehead as Eve started to call them back. He murmured things while something felt like it was weaving itself into the bond I had with her, something that took my damn breath away.

Liam had fallen and Lucas was knelt down next to him; telling him how sorry he was and how he was such an idiot since Lucas was already dead.

Eve looked at me, her eyes wide as the man who had been with Charlotte ran back into the portal and disappeared. "He needs to come back! He's not meant to be here! Why do you think she kept Wynona around! She needed a sacrifice! It's a life for a life, Levi!"

My face dropped before I started moving towards Lucas. "Lucas! Go now!"

"Levi!" Leo called out but I didn't hear him.

Something cracked and the portal–it started to shatter. It was like someone took a damn sledgehammer to it and cracked a glass over it. My heart almost stopped. "Lucas dammit! You need to go!"

Lucas looked at me, his eyes exactly like how I remembered them, before he looked at the portal. "Shit," he hissed.

"Go Lucas!" Lander yelled. "Get out of here! Hurry!"

Lucas scrambled out and started to run as pieces of the portal fell down like cracked glass and shattered into a white dust on the ground. I ran after him, thinking that I could chunk his ass back in there if I had to.

"Levi!" Derek called out.

I didn't turn around because right now I had to save my pup; I had to make sure that he went where he belonged. I couldn't lose my son again, not another time.

Lucas ran hard as more pieces fell down. Bernard stumbled back, clutching his nose as blood seeped out of it while Lucas hauled ass towards Eve who was reaching out to him. "Jump Lucas!" she called out.

Lucas took a few more steps and jumped in the air, aiming for the last window of portal as he flew through the air; but he didn't make it. It fell down and all Lucas hit was dirt as he fell.