Chapter 4: Voices

"Charlotte," something whispered

I stirred in my sleep and rolled into my pillow, avoiding the thing that wanted to wake me.

"Charlotte," a female whispered again.

Groaning, I blinked my eyes open. The room was dark, it was dark outside. Ethan wasn't there, his place next to me was still cold. He must have gotten caught up at the pack house.

"Charlotte," the voice called again.

Turning I blinked my eyes hard again and looked to see the figure of a woman leaning against the windows. She cocked her head and eyed me with stormy blue eyes that almost glowed.

"Eve?"

She shook her head. "I'm no Eve."

I stilled. Something was off. My blood felt like it was turning cold and my beast shook out her fur.

"Who the hell are you?"

"You need to see Charlotte," she answered before she took a step towards me.

My wolf snarled. "You need to get out of my house!" I bit out.

"It's time to really see Charlotte," she replied, still walking to me. I snapped my canines at her, warning her to back away. She cocked her head again, her face still a mystery as it was covered in from the safety that the darkness of the room gave her. She lifted her hand then pointed her palm. "See Charlotte!"

Something burned in my hand. I let out a sharp yelp then looked down.

The brand.

The rebel brand was burned into my flesh, but instead of a circle around the 'x,' it was a snake.

Screaming.

Screaming and clawing out towards the woman while something held me down. Something was holding my shoulders down and shaking me.

Growling out loudly and thrashing around, I clawed out and felt my hands meet flesh while my beast snapped out wildly. Something groaned as the sheets felt like the were closing in on my sweaty body; something groaned before I was flipped over onto my stomach and pinned down.

"Let me go! Stop it!" I yelled out desperately.

"Charlotte!"

"Stop!"

"Charlotte dammit!" the voice bit back before something moved my head to the side. "Wake up!" it called out before I felt my mark light up like a firework.

Gasping for air I blinked my eyes open but my hair was stuck to my face. My heart was pounding in my chest and something heavy was on top of me. Something was holding my hands behind my back while another hand was snaked in my hair.

"Charlotte?" Ethan said, his voice firm but cautious. "Baby?"

I let out a sharp breath and turned my head as much as I could. He was eyeing me, eyes that scared me. They scared me because they were afraid.