Chapter 5: Thorne-Everette

The car was quiet as we drove to Anchorage. Bernard was sitting at the window while Barrett drove and Evie rode in the middle.

Ethan had me in his lap in the back seat of the truck. He was stroking my hair while I laid on his chest. He had one leg bent up on the seat and another hanging off. I had suggested that we drive or that he take the front, since I figured he would be cramped in the back; but he insisted.

We didn't stay much longer at the packhouse with Cora, I couldn't stay much longer with Cora. Ethan was about to lose his shit after she laughed hysterically and started to sing out 'You Are My Sunshine.'

I threw up my breakfast in the trashcan in Ethan's office.

My heart broke for Jake. At times it was like she was a lucid person talking to him and other's it was like she was a mere child; afraid of the world and afraid to do anything or talk to anyone without Jake. Jake didn't deserve that, not after everything he's been through.

Ryder kept checking on Jake. Apparently Jake was sleeping outside of Cora's door and Ryder was sleeping in a chair next to Jake.

I didn't sleep at all though, not after what she had told me. Not after the things she had told me.

I linked Levi right when we got home and asked him, but he had no idea. That and he was just plain livid, livid enough rival how murderous Ethan was.

Ethan.

I hadn't ever seen him that angry. I think what scared me the most was that he didn't lash out, he didn't yell or scream. He was this cool cold fury brewing like a slow churning winter storm; the fire in his veins crackling like lightening

Regardless, the new priority was to find Hayden.

I had a hunch that he was 'The Snake,' but we had no evidence. We couldn't be sure. It was the uncertainty that ate away at me all night.

The uncertainty about my blood.

Ethan tried to think of all the other reasons but the obvious as to why they wanted my blood. He thought that maybe they really knew I was his luna and wanted to have something strong, but I knew better.

I had no idea why they wanted my blood. Neither did Barrett, but Barrett was confident that they didn't know who I was. He never saw them take me to drain me, he was drugged up. He did think that maybe they tested it after. Dominic did say that they were starting to suspect something, so maybe they found something in the tests?

I had no idea but between that and the whispers, I ended up waking up several times throughout the night in a cold sweat. Ethan would just hold me and tell me that I was ok, remind me that I was home and with him.

Nuzzling his chest that was covered in a grey thermal, while he slept as our clothes that we planned to change into before we got to Riley's tickled my toes as they swayed on the hook they hung on in the truck, I yawned and slipped a hand under his shirt–feeling his warm skin against my fingers that seemed to settle my wolf. His arms pulled me closer; his head dipping so he could nuzzle my neck before he tucked my head against his chest and dozed off again.