Chapter 40: Adventure

"Tell me something."

"Alright, what do you want to know?"

"Tell me why in the hell you thought a tree was the safest place to hide?"

I smiled as my cheeks flushed at the memory. "I have no idea honestly. I just saw a tree and the next thing I knew I was climbing it," I laughed out.

Ethan rolled his eyes then nipped at my neck as laughter trickled out of his lips. "Horrible idea."

"Well, it's not like you didn't walk around the bottom of it like a crazy mad man?"

"Mad for you babe."

"You're out of control Everette," I teased before I looked at the bandages on him and sighed. "Probably time to look at those."

"Sunshine–"

"Don't argue Ethan. I have magic blood, let me use it–please?"

He sighed then nodded. "Fine," he replied as he laid back in bed. "Magic blood," he grumbled.

"Jealous?" I asked with a sly smile as I started to pull back some of the bandages on his chest carefully, revealing the marks from the fangs of the snakes that drew my lips into a sad straight line.

Ethan reached out and took my hand then kissed my palm. "Only of that shirt on your skin sunshine."

"Later," I replied with a soft smile while I grabbed an empty plastic cup that used to have water in it.

I bit my wrist then held it over the cup, letting the blood trickle into it. Ethan frowned as he watched the blood pool until I was satisfied with the amount, or until he was tired of watching me drain my blood. He took my wrist and started to lick at the wounds while I dipped my fingers into the blood in the cup, and spread it over the fang marks on his chest.

He sucked in a shallow breath that calmed as I continued. "It helps," I added. "Cora is actually better."

"Really?"

"Mhmm," I hummed while I rubbed a thin layer of blood over a fang mark. "No longer Fruit Loops. Although Sam is still not sure how much of that was my blood or the dialysis. She's been doing all kinds of tests on the blood."

"How is Levi?" Ethan asked.

I shrugged. "Lucas said he was still asleep. Jaxon was the first to wake up, then you. Hopefully, the other three will soon as well."

"Sunshine," he said as his hand grabbed my fingers, stilling them. "I'm not angry with you, you know that right?"

I let out a shaky breath and nodded as my heart slightly twisted. "I know. I just hate it."

"I do too baby," he breathed out.

"Charlotte!" Lucas called out as he burst into the room. "My dad's awake."

"What?!"

"He wants to see you," Lucas added breathlessly.

I stilled, my fingers paused as they dipped in the cup. Ethan sighed and reached for the cup. "Lucas, come hear and slather this on me. It's apparently 'magic blood.'"

"What?" Lucas breathed out.

"Charlotte's orders," Ethan sighed out.

I eyed him then let him have the cup, rubbing the excess blood on my cotton shorts before I reluctantly slid out of the bed. Lucas eyed me with tired eyes and kissed my hair. "I'll stay."

"Come on Lucas, isn't this like a wet dream of yours?" Ethan called out, teasing in his tone.

Lucas groaned before he looked back at me. "Sorry?" I said with a tiny smile before I started to walk down the hall.