Scene Twenty-Four

Things got back on track at dinner. Maisie felt less awkward, and Bastian behaved charmingly. He held the door for her, and pulled out her chair when she went to sit down. He didn't order ahead of time, so they had a chance to discuss the menu.

"Everything looks so good," Maisie said, reading through the entrees. "I love a good, spicy curry."

"Me, too. The chicken korma here is delicious, and they make the best naan in the triangle."

"I love naan almost as much as I love curry."

"Than we picked the right spot." He smiled and shook his head. "I'm so glad you like Indian food. The other women I go out with can't stand the heat."

She did her best to ignore the "other women" comment. "If you're getting chicken, then I'm getting lamb."

"And we can split the plates," he said.

"If you don't mind."

"Absolutely not. Too bad they don't have a big sampler plate."

They put their orders in, and the waiter brought out a bottle of wine for them to share. Maisie took a big sip and appreciated Bastian's beautiful eyes gazing at her.

"Tell me about your work," she said. He'd been fairly quiet on the subject so far, and he shrugged at the question.

"It's actually pretty boring. Patient after patient. Chart after chart."

"But you must see some interesting cases, or injuries?"

"Doctor-patient confidentiality." He shrugged again.

"Right. Okay, tell me about your dog then - we didn't get to talk much about him last time."

"Sirius is the absolute best! I got him when he was just a puppy, about five years ago. He's my best bud."

"Does he like to play fetch?"

"Loves it! But he loves tug-o-war even more. We have an old rope we use. He's gotten so strong, I have to use gloves so my skin doesn't rip off when he yanks it from me."

They both laughed and Maisie started telling him about Dashwood, but his phone dinged. He fished it out of his pocket.

"Sorry! I have to keep it on in case of emergencies at work. Let me just make sure it isn't something that can wait."

"Of course." She picked up her wine glass while he checked the message, and felt her heart sink as his brow furrowed.

He typed out a message and put it back in his pocket. "Not enough of an emergency to leave immediately, but I'll have to go as soon as we eat. I'm sorry - I was really looking forward to having dessert with you."

She felt a blush creep up her neck. "At least you don't have to go immediately."

"Right - now back to your cat, Durwood, right?"

"No," she laughed. "Dashwood. You know, Dashwood."

He raised an eyebrow. "Should that name mean something?"

"From Sense and Sensibility. The Dashwood sisters."

"Oh! Of course. Dashwood. Clever. And a very cute name for a cat." He poured the rest of the bottle of wine into her glass. "Since I can't have anymore, you should finish it off."

"Thank you."

Their waitress appeared and set their meals in front of them. Throughout the meal they chatted about the election, Maisie's family, and her trip to New York. When the check came, she offered to pay, but he grabbed it and threw down his credit card too fast for her to object.

"Maybe I'm old-fashioned," he said. "But a lady shouldn't have to pay on a date."

"You are a little old-fashioned," she teased. He laughed.

"You can get it next time if you really want."

"I like that plan."

They walked out together, and Bastian followed Maisie to her car. He touched her elbow lightly and she turned to face him. "I had a great time, tonight," he said softly. His warm eyes shone down at her and she could feel her knees preparing to buckle.

"Me, too. I can't wait to do it again."

"Good." He leaned in. She realized she was holding her breath. His lips landed, slightly open on hers and pressed gently. He didn't linger. Their curry-breaths didn't invite pro-longed exposure.

She smiled as he stepped back and opened his eyes. "I'll remember mints for next time."

He laughed. "Me, too. I can't wait to do it again."