Scene Fifty-Eight

Marcus was a hit with the twins.  He made funny faces at dinner and let them tell him stories about their day, about school, their friends, and finally Sailor's imaginary puppy.  After dinner, he fixed everyone their own bowl of ice cream, which was a huge treat for the twins, who always had to share dessert when dished out by their parents.  A game of hide and seek commenced after the ice cream and when it was Marcus's turn to seek, he really struggled to locate the giggling five-year olds, even though they picked the same hiding spot every time.

At eight, the twins gave a little resistance about going to bed because they wanted to play more with Marcus, but he agreed to read them a bedtime story, and both were asleep before he reached "the end."

Maisie made sure they were tucked in and planted a kiss on each forehead before following Marcus downstairs and collapsing beside him on the couch.  "Did you ever know," she paused, making eye contact, "that you're my hero?"

He laughed.  "Are you going to start singing, Bette?"

"I just wanted to make sure you knew that you're the wind beneath my wings."

He nodded.  "I had a feeling."

"How did you get so amazing with kids?"

"Believe it or not, Tamar has four kids."

"Four?" Maisie repeated.  Tamar was Marcus's older brother - he'd been a year ahead of Anabeth in school, and from what Maisie remembered, the last person she'd expect to be a family man.

"Yep.  Uncle Marcus has approximately ten Best Uncle Ever mugs in his kitchen cabinets."  He brushed imaginary dirt off his shoulder and grinned.

"Does he always refer to himself in the third person?"

"Only when in Uncle Mode," he responded, very seriously.

Maisie adjusted her position on the couch so she was leaning against the arm and facing his profile.  He swiveled to match her.

"I can't thank you enough.  This whole day has been one unexpected development after another - it's just been insane - and then you come along and-"

He cut her off, "I wanted to see you.  It's as simple as that."  He leaned forward and cupped her cheek in his hand before kissing her.  Her whole body tingled.  His lips were so soft, his touch so gentle.  But them something shifted.  His hands moved down her arms, to her hips, and his grip became firm as he drew her to him.  She found herself straddling his lap and running her fingers through his hair.  Her nerve endings burned in the best way.  Everything about the moment was intoxicating - his tongue dancing with hers, the roughness of the stubble on his cheeks, the heady smell of his cologne.  His mouth left hers and kissed down her jawline to her neck, finding that sweet spot at the base of her throat, and his hands slid underneath the hem of her shirt, resting lightly on along the small of her back. Lost in her feelings, Maisie probably would have done something stupid if the front door hadn't swung open and her sister dropped her bag onto the floor with a thud.

Maisie jumped up, falling backward toward the coffee table, but luckily, Marcus grabbed her arm and prevented her from crashing into it.

Anabeth slowly closed the door, then turned to face them. She crossed her arms over her chest. "What are you doing?"

"Hey! You remember Marcus, don't you, Anabeth?" Maisie asked, pulling on the bottom of her shirt to straighten it out. "We dated in high school and recently reconnected, remember?"

Anabeth glanced at the man in her living room, then back at Maisie. "What is he doing here?"

"We had plans tonight."