Scene Twenty-Five

"I don't know, Maze. It sounds awkward to me. Maybe Bastian isn't the dreamboat we thought." Talia said. She handed her boarding pass and ID to the TSA agent, then stepped aside to wait for Maisie.

"We've only been on two dates. There's bound to be some awkwardness as we get to know each other."

They stepped up to the security line and hoisted their suitcases on the belt. Maisie slipped off her flip flops while Talia struggled with her boots.

"I told you to wear easy shoes."

Talia stuck her tongue out, then promptly fell on her ass. Maisie and the cute guy in line behind them both started to laugh. He reached a hand out and helped Talia to her feet.

"I think you made the right choice with the boots," he said. "At the very least you gave me a chuckle and at the most, maybe you'll let me give you my number?"

"Smooth," Maisie said, giving him a nod of approval.

"Thanks." He hadn't let go of Talia's hand yet and proceeded to shake it. "I'm Marcus."

"Nice to meet you Marcus, but we're holding up the line." Talia shoved Maisie gently and they both went through the metal detector.

"He's so cute! Take his number!" Maisie whispered as they collected their luggage. Marcus was only a few steps behind.

"Alright, alright," Talia mumbled. She turned to him. "Thanks for your help. I'm Talia. Why don't we get a coffee while waiting for our flights?"

"Great!"

"I'll see you at the gate." Maisie left the two of them heading towards Starbucks and found a bookstand. After fifteen minutes of rifling through celebrity gossip magazines, she bought a copy of the new John Grisham thriller and some snacks for the plane.

When she arrived at the gate a few minutes later, she was surprised to find Talia sitting beside an elderly couple, reading the newspaper to them.

"What happened?"

"Oh," Talia excused herself from the couple and handed them their paper. "He was a scientologist."

"Yeesh. He was so nice and cute, though. I bet he would convert for you."

She grimaced. "Not worth it. Plus, he doesn't even live here. He's from California."

"Well, that makes sense."

Talia moved her carry-on and purse from the seat beside her to the ground so Maisie could sit. "That's so weird," Maisie said.

"What is?"

"I'm usually the one who gets hit on by the not-worth-it guys."

"Maybe your luck is changing."

"If it is, I don't want your luck to get worse."

Talia laughed. "Don't worry about me. I'll be just fine."

***I'll be publishing the next scene or two tomorrow, Tuesday, November 8th.  Happy election day, everyone!***