Scene Eighty-Four

In addition to the short woman, Maisie's interviewers were two older men, both bald, both white, both smiling warmly as she took the seat across from them.

"Thank you for coming in, Maisie," the woman said, also taking a seat.  "Or do you prefer Mason?"

"Maisie, please."

"Maisie it is.  Well, I'm Patricia Johnson, the Executive Director of the association.  This is Nelson Freeman, the President, and Dicky Smith, our Treasurer."

"It's a pleasure to meet all of you.  Thank you for inviting me to interview for this opportunity.:"

"We've been looking over your resume," Ms. Johnson continued. "You put in a lot of time with H & L Homes.  What made you leave?"

Maisie had practiced her answer to this question with both Talia and Anabeth, but could still feel her heart beating fast as she answered.  "The management of the company, and its core philosophies, have shifted over the time I've worked there.  It doesn't match my values anymore."

"I see," Ms. Johnson said.  "We called to verify your employment and the Human Resources rep said they couldn't comment other than to say no comment due to possible pending litigation."

"That would be accurate."

"Litigation against you?" Ms. Johnson asked.

"No, ma'am."  The three people across the room just stared at her, their faces blank.  This was not playing out the way she'd rehearsed.  She had to fix it, quick, or she could kiss this opportunity goodbye.  "I have not decided if I want to pursue legal action against my former employer, but I might.  When that decision is made, and I have clearance from my lawyer, I will be happy to give you more details.  I hope you can understand that at this time, it would not be prudent to discuss."

The gentlemen still said nothing, but Ms. Johnson had a knowing, tight-lipped smile.  "I understand," she said.  "Looking at your figures, it seems you were quite the successful salesperson."

"I led the department for eight straight quarters."

"How do you think your sales experience will help you in this role?"

"Fundraising is basically selling, the product is just different.  For seven years, I convinced people to spend a lot of money on houses.  Here, I'll be convincing people to spend a lot of money on charity and research."

"Those are two very different products," Ms. Johnson said.

"Yes, but in order to sell them, you need to figure out the same thing about the buyer."

"And what's that?"

"What they want to buy," Maisie said.  The two gentlemen exchanged glances.  Maisie recognized the semi-annoyed look on their faces - she'd seen it before in interviews and evaluations.  She'd also seen it change from annoyed to impressed in under three minutes.  "You see, most people have the erroneous impression that to sell well, you focus on the product you are selling, but that will only work on those people already wanting to buy that product.  When I sold houses, I didn't take every buyer I met with to the most expensive one.  I asked questions first.  I found out what they wanted to buy.  It sounds so simple, but so many sales people forget this crucial step."

The gentlemen weren't quite to impressed yet, but that was okay.  She had to drive it home.  "For this association, you can't sell something tangible like a house, so you have to focus on the idea - for every potential donor, there's going to be a different idea that gets them to sign up.  Mr. Smith, I notice you're wearing a life alert bracelet.  If I were trying to convince you to donate, I'd appeal to your personal health and safety.  More money for research means better doctors, better training, new techniques and procedures that could help you should you suffer a heart attack or other heart condition."