Scene Fifty-Nine

Talia wasn't around when Maisie got home, so she gathered Dashwood in her arms, turned on the television to a marathon of Law & Order: SUV and continued crying.  She had no idea things were bad in her sister's marriage, and before tonight she probably wouldn't have cared.  Anabeth was right - she probably would have found a little thrill in it - knowing Mary Poppins wasn't actually so perfect.  How had things gotten so bad between them?

She acknowledged that their mother definitely favored Anabeth, and often played them against each other, but it went beyond that.  Anabeth had always gone out of her way to exclude Maisie, or make her feel stupid, or less than somehow.  Hadn't she?

Looking back, Maisie couldn't recall any specific memories to support this strongly-held impression.  Had her desperate desire for her mother's love and approval caused her to jealously distort her relationship with the only person in the world who could understand what Momma Frampton's manipulations and selfishness did to her?

She woke early Sunday morning and went to the grocery store.  Anabeth tried to only feed the kids healthy, non-processed foods, so Maisie loaded her cart with fruits and veggies, fresh-baked bread, and generous cuts of meat and fish.

She almost expected Anabeth to freeze her out and not open the door when she knocked, but it did open.  Without a word, her sister took a bag from her and headed to the kitchen.  Maisie followed with two more.  "I saw the fridge was empty yesterday.  I figured you maybe haven't had time to shop lately."

"I can take care of my kids on my own."

"I know you can, but I'd like to help, if you'll let me."

Anabeth began emptying the bags onto the counter.  "You're welcome to see them whenever you want."

"Thanks."

"And I have interviews set up with several nannies, so things like yesterday shouldn't happen again."  Anabeth looked so exhausted - there were dark purple bags under her eyes, and her hair probably hadn't been washed in three or four days.

"That's great," Maisie said.

She nodded and opened the fridge.  Maisie handed her items one at a time.  Soon, the crisper was full and Anabeth closed the fridge's door.  "We've been eating out a lot."

Maisie leaned against the counter.  "You hate eating out."

Aabeth grabbed the empty plastic bags the groceries had come in.  "These are bad for the environment."

"Yeah, I know.  Hey, AB?  You know, I'm sorry if you felt - no.  I'm sorry I alienated you.  We never really acted like sisters growing up and I guess I thought you preferred things that way."

"I probably did give that impression."

"But we can still change things, right? I'd like to get to know you better.  I'd like to be there for you when you need it."

"We can work on it."  Anabeth reached out and gripped Maisie's hand for a second, then dropped it.