Scene Seventy-Two

Author's Note: I have not done any research yet on employment law/ wrongful termination and how Maisie would actually proceed in her situation, so please proceed with suspension of belief for now (but if you have knowledge in this area, feel free to let me know!).

*

George, Trevor, and the rest of the accounting department were waiting for Maisie when she arrived at Cowfish.  The entire sales team showed up a minute later.  Half the marketing team also came to show their support and hide their hope for communal appetizers paid for by someone else.  Condolences were offered by all and several of her colleagues said they'd gone to HR to complain about Roseberg's behavior, not just to her that morning, but also to themselves over time.

"There's no way corporate upholds your termination," George said at one point.  "Roseberg has to have their approval on all hiring and firing decisions.  You'll be back at work tomorrow."

"I don't think I want to go back," Maisie said.  "Especially not if he's still employed there.  I can't work for a company that doesn't have my back, or their backs."  She gestured to the other women at the table.

"It's not right that you get driven out."

"No, it's not, but maybe this could be good for me.  I don't know if sales is what I want to do forever."

Clay walked in the door and Maisie waved to get his attention.  He looked overwhelmed as he joined their large party.  "You said one witness would be here."

"I said at least one.  You guys," she spoke up to get the attention of everyone, "this is my friend, Clay.  He's a lawyer and he's going to see if there is any legal action I can take against Roseberg and the company."

George leaned in and whispered, "You're going to sue?"

"I hope not, but I have to do something."

Clay rubbed his hands together, and ignoring Maisie and George's raised eyebrows, began, "I guess I'll start at the end and work my way down."  He moved quickly and interviewed each person individually, recording their accounts on his phone.  His food was cold by the time he finally sat beside Maisie and dug in.

"We can get you a fresh plate," she said, looking around for a server.

"That's okay, I don't mind it room temperature."  He bit into his burger and wiped his mouth on a napkin.  In between bites, he asked Maisie to record her account of what happened, and told her he'd ask the lawyers in his firm who had more experience with wrongful termination what they thought.

Maisie's former co-workers paid their bills and hugged her goodbye.  George was the last to stand.  He came around the table and put his arms around her so tightly, she quipped, "I'm not dying, George! No need to squeeze the life out of me."

"You know I've got your back, right?" He released her, but kept his hands on her arms.

"Of course, and I'm still going to expect free coffee and the occasional pastry.  We're going to be seeing each other all the time."

"I guess it's a good thing I'm dating your best friend, huh?"

Maisie resisted the urge to roll her eyes.  "It is, but that's not what I meant."  They hugged again and George left, heading back to the office without her.  Clay also said goodbye, and Maisie slowly walked to her car.  The full reality of the situation began to hit her.  She was unemployed.  Possibly beginning a lengthy legal battle.  And the whole thing happened because she had unrealistic expectations for love due to fictional characters, a laptop, and Talia's sangria.

"Still," she mused, "it's not the worst thing to happen as a result of Talia's sangria."