Scene Fifty-One

Talia was waiting up when Maisie got home that night.  "It's after midnight, young lady."

Maisie laughed.  "Oh, is it? We kinda lost track of time."

"Did you sleep with him?"

"Not yet."

"Don't be coy with me!  God, I love this new Maisie.  She's so much more interesting than the old one."

"Hey!"

"You know I love you in all your versions, but this 2016 version is like the upgrade of all upgrades.  You're making things happen for yourself."

"With your help."  Maisie dropped onto the couch beside her friend.  "I couldn't do any of this without you, T."

"Sure you could, but I'm glad to help.  You've gone way too long thinking you didn't deserve love."

"I did not!"

Talia stared at her, her mouth pointed and eyes stern.

"Okay, maybe I did.  But I'm not like you - guys have never fallen over themselves to date me.  And I could see why."

Talia shook her head.  "There are so many things wrong with that, I don't even know where to start.  First - guys do not fall over themselves to date me.  At least, not without encouragement from me.  If guys haven't been into you in the past, it's because you practically had 'fuck off' written on your forehead.  They could tell you didn't want to be approached.  Look at you now, making out practically all night with Bastian, and you set up a date with Marcus in under an hour! It's too bad he got freaked out by the viral thing."

"Oh - I didn't tell you! He didn't get freaked out by it - or if he did, not like we thought.  He texted today - his dad was in the hospital - don't worry, he's okay - and we're still going out Friday."

"Shut up!"

"I know! I can't believe this is all happening.  Plus, I still have some of those dates you set up for me."

"I may have added some more tonight."

"Really?"

"Yeah, the page sorta re-blew up after the Buzzfeed video.  Don't worry - I background checked them all first."

"When do I stop all the dating?"

"What do you mean?" Talia asked.

"At some point, I'm going to have to pick one of these guys, right?  I can't keep dating multiple guys indefinitely."

Talia nodded. "Are you ready to pick now? Is Bastian 'the one'?"

Maisie thought about it.  She certainly liked Bastian, but she was beyond excited for her date with Marcus.  Would she even want to go out with Marcus if Bastian was the one?"

"He could be - but he isn't yet."

"Then don't worry yet.  You'll know when one of them is the right guy to give up the others for.

Talia spoke with a wisdom Maisie couldn't comprehend.  Her friend had not had a long-term relationship since she'd known her, and had never mentioned any serious ex-boyfriends.  Talia liked playing the field and dating around.  Maisie was finally at a place where she could understand the appeal of that, but she knew she didn't want it to last forever.  She hoped her friend was right and she'd know when the time was right to end it.