Scene Eighty-Eight

Anabeth came over early the next day so Maisie could go home and take the Skype call from there.  The apartment felt weird, almost unwelcoming when she walked in.  Dash sauntered out of her bedroom, took one look at her, and turned tail.  She checked his litter, food and water bowls, and felt immensely thankful Talia hadn't appeared to have forgotten them this time.

New photo frames on the walls and new pillows on the furniture showed her friend had made herself more comfortable in Maisie's absence.  If the call went well, that absence would be extended for several months.  She sighed and dropped her bag on the ground.

She showered quickly, and dried and styled her hair.  Her closet was full of professional clothes, but it took her several tries to land on a white blouse/blue blazer combo and the sapphire necklace and earrings she only wore on special occasions. They'd been a college graduation present from Momma Frampton and Anabeth.

Red lipstick and mascara completed the overall look and she sat in front of her computer feeling confident and happy.  They weren't interviewing anyone else for the position yet.  It was hers to lose.

****

"How'd it go?" Talia asked, bursting in the door that afternoon.  Maisie hadn't been back to her mother's yet - Anabeth said she'd be able to watch her until the morning as Sean had promised to pick the kids up from school.

"Well," Maisie said, dragging it out with devilish pleasure, "it was amazing!  I vibed well with both teams and I start next week."

"Yay! That's so awesome."  Talia hugged her tightly.  "I mean, obviously I don't like that you're leaving for five months-"

"Could be six," Maisie interjected.

Talia rolled her eyes.  "Okay, six.  But this is big, right?"

"Huge.  I'm excited.  It'll be a new challenge for me - I'm ready to sink my teeth in."

The ladies drifted to the sofa and sat on opposite ends.  Talia swung her feet up and plopped them on the coffee table.  "Have you told your mother yet?" she asked.

"Tomorrow.  Anabeth's there now, so I can get a headstart on packing."

"What are you doing with the apartment?"

"Nothing yet.  If you'll keep paying half the rent and utilities, I'll cover the rest - they are giving me lodging with everything included while I'm filling in, so I won't have to pay double."

"Maybe we should see if we can get someone to sublease for you? I hate the idea of your bedroom being empty so long."

"Do you have someone in mind?"

Talia shook her head.  "No, but we could use one of those roommate-finder sites."

"I don't know if I want a stranger here all up in my stuff."

"We don't have to do it," Talia smiled.  "It was just a thought."

Maisie nudged Talia's leg.  "With me gone, you and George can make out all over the apartment."

"Sorry to break it to you, but the ship has sailed on that.  It's not a very big apartment."

Maisie laughed.  "Just don't have sex in my room."

"After the trauma of what happened to me - we'd never!"

"Okay, good."

In a burst of energy, Talia jumped up and clapped her hands.  "We should celebrate.  Let's have a dinner party.  And a game night!"

"Love it. God, I'm going to miss you so much."

Her friend plopped down beside her.  "Don't worry, I'm not going to give you the chance to miss me.  Between Facebook Messenger, texts, Skype, FaceTime, email, Instagram, and my weekend visits, you're going to be sick of me."

"I hope so."  Maisie playfully swatted Talia's knee.

"What are you doing with the furball?"

"Dash is coming with me, aren't you buddy?"

The cat jumped up on the couch and laid between the two women, his front paws and head on Maisie's lap, his hind legs on Talia's.  "Oh. Great."

Maisie detected a lack of enthusiasm in Talia's voice.  "You want me to leave him?"

"No! Well, I- I mean, I've gotten used to him, you know.  Maybe I'll get my own."

"There's an idea."  Maisie scratched Dash's ears and he started to purr.