Scene Forty-Nine

Momma Frampton called the next day's on Maisie's lunch break.  They hadn't spoken in several days, so Maisie didn't feel right ignoring the call.

"Hello, Mother."

"Hello, Mother? What's with the sarcasm, young lady?"

Maisie switched the phone to her other ear.  "I literally have no idea what to say to you at this point.  I know you think I'm the world's most ungrateful child, but I promise my greeting was not in the least sarcastic."

"I don't understand how I always become the bad guy with you.  I'm your mother - I gave you life."

Maisie took a deep breath.  "Yes, you did.  How are you?"

A deep breath came from the other end of the line.  Maisie wondered if it was mocking or sincere, but decided to let it go.  Her mother spoke: "I'm absolutely embarrassed.  You went to New York City and filmed some kid of video date profile and didn't warn me?  My Bible Study Group has been calling me all day - praying for your soul."

"For my soul?  Because I went to New York City or because I went on a date?"

"The whole thing."

"You were the one who wanted me to date, remember?  You're worried my eggs are going to be as dusty as the Sahara before I find a husband."

"Don't be so dramatic."

"That is a direct quote.  I know because I wrote it down after you said it so I could tell Talia later."

"Regardless - I do want you to find someone and get married.  Being single at your age..."

"What?  What is so wrong with being single at my age?"

"Oh, darling.  You know."

"No, Mother.  I really don't.  Please enlighten me."

"I can't talk to you when you're like this.  Please, in the future, think of your poor mother before you go off galavanting in front of cameras flaunting your dysfunction."

"My dysfunction?  My dysfunction!?!?"

The phone clicked.  Momma Frampton had actually hung up on her.  Maisie nearly cracked the screen, she slammed her phone down so hard.

She quickly texted Talia. "My mother is legit insane."

"What she do now?"

"Apparently I embarrassed her by going to Buzzfeed and making that video."

"How?"

"Who knows?  Apparently her Bible-thumping friends are praying for my soul.

"'Bout time someone did."

":)"

She stuffed her phone back in her purse and picked up her sandwich.  She wasn't going to have time to finish it all now, but she could get a few bites in before she had to head back to the office.  Her phone dinged, muffled by the purse, but she assumed it was Talia with a responding emoji, so she ignored it for the time being and scarfed down a handful of potato chips before wrapping her sandwich and refilling her lemonade.  On the way to the car, she checked it and a little thrill ran down her spine when she saw the notification.

"Sorry I haven't replied before now - I broke my phone and couldn't get a new one until today.  Damn doctors' hours!" Bastian wrote.

As she got in her car, she tried to think of a witty response, but the phone dinged again in her hand.

"Any chance you're free tomorrow night?  I know it's last minute."

Grinning, she texted back: "Sucks about your phone. It's okay, though, I've been keeping myself busy."  She hit send and started typing again.  "I think tomorrow night is free, but let me check my calendar. I'm on my way back to the office, I'll text you back in a few minutes."

She started the engine and pulled onto the road.  At the first red light, she checked her phone.

"Sounds good," he had responded.  There was also a notification from a number she didn't recognize.  The light turned green before she could check it, and she didn't get another red light the entire way to the office.

George met her in the parking lot when she arrived.  "Good lunch?" he asked, pointing to her sandwich.

"It was definitely interesting.  Fight with my mom, and then I finally got a text back fro Bastian."

"Took him long enough.  What was his excuse?"

"Broken phone."

"And he had no other way of contacting you?  I don't buy it."

"Why are you and Talia such cynics about Bastian?"

"We just call 'em like we see 'em."

"I don't know if I like you two teaming up against me like this all the time."

George opened the door for her and let her pass him into the building.  "I don't think you have a say in the matter.  We're both looking out for you."

"Well, stop it!" Maisie laughed.  George threw cheesy finger guns at her as he rounded the corner towards his cubicle.  She sat at her own desk and pulled out her phone to look at the unknown texter.

"Hey Maisie.  Sorry I left so suddenly last night.  I got a phone call that my dad was in the hospital."

Shit! Maisie thought.  She keyed back, "I'm so sorry - is he okay?"

"He is now.  He's been having some health issues that last couple of years.  Another reason I moved back."

"I'm really sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, thanks.  I'd still love to do dinner Friday."

"Me, too.  What time/where?"

":) 8:00, 42nd Street?  We haven't been there together since prom."

"I love a good blast from the past."

"Me, too :) See you Friday."

Elated, Maisie opened her calendar and put her date Marcus down for Friday.  She checked Wednesday night.  Talia had added a Darcy hopeful for her.

She picked up her phone yet again and texted Bastian back.  "Tomorrow night won't work.  I can do tonight or Thursday, though."

"I'll switch shifts with someone.  Let me cook for you tonight."

"Really? I like the sound of that."

"Great - tonight, 7:00, my place."  He texted his address and Maisie put the new date on her calendar.  Talia would be so proud of her - two new dates in a week, with two actual, long-term-relationship-potential men.  Her fight with Momma Frampton seemed light years ago.