Chapter 14: The News

I remembered Jeremy was caring me, to the hospital. "What are we doing in a hospital?", I asked myself. Still not remembering what had happened. I also remembered, Jeremy yelled "It can't be!", what does he meant by that?

        I open my eyes slowly, my head feels heavy, like I was hit by a heavy airplane. I don't see Jeremy, by my side. ""Perhaps, he's outside", I say to myself. Suddenly, the door opened and Jeremy face's appears from the door. I smiled, but Jeremy's face doesn't look that good. I asks, "What's wrong, Jeremy?". "W-what's wrong?!? You're in a hospital!!", Jeremy yells and I just realize that I was sitting on a bed..a hospital's bed?? My face turns pale as I turns to Jeremy, almost crying myself, but I try to stay strong. "W-what now?", I asks Jeremy. I'm not trying to brag, but I never liked being in a hospital. Either visiting a family or friends or being hospitalized, because it reminds me of my brother.

        I was waiting for Jeremy to answer, but a doctor comes in and fills the tension air with more suspense. "Good evening, Ms. Brooks. How are you feeling?", the doctor asks. "D-doctor..Please do explain to me, what's going on?", I asks the doctor, desperately. The doctor turns his face to Jeremy, waiting a respond, Jeremy nods and leaves the room. I wonder, is my sickness that bad? More worst than my brother's?

        The doctor starts to explain; "Ms.Brooks, I'm terribly sorry, but you have brain tumor and there are a few factors that can raise the risk of brain tumors. And unfortunately, you have a 'Tuberous sclerosis'(check on this website to know more>http://www.cancer.org/cancer/braincnstumorsinadults/detailedguide/brain-and-spinal-cord-tumors-in-adults-risk-factors). Usually, people with this condition may have subependymal giant cell astrocytomas, which are low-grade astrocytomas that develop beneath the ependymal cells of the ventricles. They may also have other benign tumors of the brain, skin, heart, kidneys, and other organs. This condition is caused by changes in either the TSC1 or the TSC2 gene. This factor of brain cancer's gene's can be inherited from a parent, but most often they develop in people without a family history. So, Ms.Brooks, do you have a family member who had one of these factor of brain tumors?"

I didn't paid attention that much, but I did hear the 'brain cancer' part. I quickly snap out of my mind and asks, "D-doctor..a-are you sure that this brain cancer could be inherited from my parents?". The doctor smiled and answered my question that there could be a possibility. After hearing the doctor's explanation, I realizes that my mother had this cancer when she was having me and died while carrying me in her arms. I smiled and told him about my mother's brain cancer and I asked him to leave me because I couldn't control my sadness inside me. I keep asking myself, "What should I do now? Kill myself?" because I never wanted to burden someone I knew or someone who cares about me. And for now, I need a friend, a family to give me a big comfort hug, but who?