Chapter 1

UPDATED VERSION

Charlie

There is a moment right when you wake up that there is peace. Pure peace. It's my favorite part of the day. The small moment when you open your eyes and your mind is blank, and you forget all of your worries...just for a second, everything is good. Then comes the crash. Where your brain catches up and all of your worries come crashing back. The pain comes in feeling ten times worse than the day before. I woke up with an agonizing headache, like usual. But this time was worse. I slowly got up from my bed, trying not to fall over from being dizzy.

 My room was still dark, but the light of the lightning outside provided some light. The rain hitting my window soothed my head. Today was a day like no other. We had a special guest visiting our pack today, but I have no idea who it is. All I know was that Alpha called for all the unmated wolves to the main castle today. This means an alpha from a neighboring pack is looking for a mate. But which one?

I don't plan on finding my mate; I have spent the last few years coming to terms that I won't ever find him, which is okay. Omegas don't get mates unless the moon goddess herself blesses them. Which most aren't. My mother, for example, as beautiful as she is, never found her mate. She settled for my father when they met here at our pack. 

Neither of them believed they would find their mates, and they didn't want to be alone their whole lives. So they gave in to each other and mated. Fortunately, over-tie love did grow for them. I grew up watching them be in love and believing that they were mated.

It broke my mother's heart when my father passed. I don't think she's been the same since. She doesn't smile as much; she's not as happy. I know she tries for me, but all I want is for her to be filled with joy again. Truly.

I looked in the mirror and sighed but quickly looked away. I didn't like looking for too long. It just made my insecurities worse than they already were. I had a giant nose; it took up most of my face. But it came from my ethnic background. I had huge curly hair that grew out then down. I had brown skin and brown eyes.

 Every day I was reminded just how different I was compared to the other girls and their gentle and more Eurocentric features. I got my features from my father. He was born in the middle east as an omega and sold here. My mother, on the other hand, was considered beautiful. She had the bright blonde hair and the blue eyes I dreamt of having. Maybe then my life would be easier. I finished getting ready and put on the best clothes that I owned to try and fit in with the other wolves when I left.

I walked down to the kitchen, and my mom was standing over the stove cooking our usual breakfast. 

"Morning, Mama," I said as I sat down at the dining table, waiting for her to be done. 

" I heard some news about who the special guest is." She turned and looked at me. 

"Which alpha?" 

"The King. Alpha Tyler." My face dropped in disbelief. 

The King Alpha Tyle was coming to our pack... for what? There's no way he was coming to find his mate here. 

"He is looking for his mate. He's been looking for months and going to different packs and has yet to find them. Blue Lake is his last stop." 

Of course, it is.

"Why are they having me go if I am going to be humiliated and made fun of? I experience that daily already; why does it have to be in front of him too?" 

I could feel the tears start to rise in my eyes. But I stopped them from falling. 

"I know, love, but the faster you go, the faster you can come back. You can eat breakfast later."