Chapter 19

Charlie

What did I do to deserve this? Was I being dramatic? After I drive away leaving him on the street I felt so bad. I had to fight the urge to turn around and pick him back up. But he lied to me. He didn't tell me the truth, so he lied. That's how that works right? I don't know. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this mate shit. I just know what I am feeling. And what I'm feeling is hurt and betrayed.

How could Christina go on being such good friends with me knowing she took away such a valuable moment that Damon and I were to share? How could she go on with Trey knowing that she was a liar and a cheater? Was Damon a cheater too? He knew exactly what was going on and yet said nothing about it to his best friend either. What did I ever do to deserve such a cruel life from the moon goddess? All I wanted was to be happy and be in love and yet that's still too much to ask. 

I don't know how much time had gone past, but I knew it would take Damon hours to get back if he was going to walk back to the castle. We were deep into town, it was almost an hour and a half drive back for me and I just left him there. Alone. Maybe he mind-linked someone to pick him up. Probably Trey. I wonder if he told him the truth then. Probably not. 

I was starting to get a little too comfortable staying in the guest room. I had moved some things in once I got back. Who knows how long it's going to take for me to forgive him this time? Because this time wasn't an excuse I could just accept. This affected my relationship in the worst ways possible.

I heard the front door open and his scent hit my nose. I just buried myself deeper in the blankets I was under. I didn't need to worry about him walking in because I had already locked the door. 

"Charlie, listen to me please." 

"Charlie, just open the door and let's talk. I'm so sorry. Please hear me when I say that. I am so sorry." 

No, I can't give in to him. No matter how hard he is trying I can't keep ignoring how I feel to benefit him. But there was a question burning in the back of my mind that I needed to be answered. I needed the truth and nothing but the truth. I slowly got up and went to the door and opened it. There he stood looking down at me, his eyes were bloodshot red, and so was the rest of his face, and he looked tired. So tired. 

"Is she the reason why you didn't want to find me? That you didn't come looking for me?" He stayed silent which sort of gave me an answer but it wasn't enough. 

"Tell me the truth, Damon. You knew about your and Tyler's situation at that time, right? So you knew your mate was out there, somewhere. But you didn't go looking. It was because of Christina?" 

He moved his eyes away from mine and looked to the floor and he slowly nodded yes. I truly didn't think my heart could break any more than it already had. But I proved myself wrong. 

"Charlie, I didn't think you'd pick me. And I couldn't handle going through another rejection again." His voice was so soft, he was hurting just as much as me. But this was because he is finally facing the consequences of his actions. 

"How could you not tell your best friend?" I let out a soft sob, I was trying my best to hold it together but it wasn't working anymore. 

"I'm not good Charlie. No matter how hard I try, I am not good. I keep making mistakes and messing up everyone's lives. I am a liar. And I am so sorry that I put you through that." 

"If I had known, I wasn't such a coward. I would have run my way to you. If I had known you would be so wonderful I would have done a lot of things differently in my lifetime. I am so sorry." He let out a gentle sob and moved his hand to wipe his tears.