Chapter 22

Charlie

It had been a few days since the ambush dinner, and things had been going nice and slow. The way I wanted it. So far Damon has been faithful to his word. 

He texts me every day, constantly checking on me. However, he hasn't pushed for us to see each other again. I am grateful that he is giving me the space that I need.

Though, part of me is disappointed. I don't know if I'm ready for us to be alone together just yet. Or maybe I am just scared. 

Who knows. 

But I kind of wish that he did ask maybe once or twice. But that's not fair to him. I need to figure out what I want before asking him to do something or be something I don't want him to be. I was lying on the couch and had Romeo lying on my lap as I watched a movie. 

Sarah walked in from her breakfast date with Robert and had this giant smile on her face.

"So, have you and Damon made a plan yet?" She asked me. 

"A plan for what?" I looked at her as she came and sat on the other chairs in the living room. 

"To hang out! It's been four days now. You guys need to do something if you're going to give him another chance." I rolled my eyes at her, but I knew she was right. How could I expect anything to happen between us if I didn't even hang out with him? I'm just scared, I guess. 

"Look, I know you're scared, but for this to work, you got to put yourself out there. Invite him over tonight."

I sat up so fast that I scared Romeo, and I felt bad. 

"Tonight? Here? At our place? No. Not." I scoffed and leaned my head back on the couch. 

"Okay then, take him to that little place you like to go to. What's it called? The diner?"

"Mrs. P's," I interrupted her. 

"Yeah! Take him there. Or have him meet you there and just talk over some root beer floats or something." I knew she was right, and I needed to listen. 

"Okay fine. I will ask him to see if he is free." I pulled out my phone and went through his messages, confused about texting or calling him. 

"Call him," Sarah said, basically reading my mind.

 I tapped on the name and the phone icon. It started to ring, and after two rings, he picked up. 

"Hey, Charlie." I could already sense that he had a giant smile on his face. 

"Hey, sorry, are you busy?" I heard a bunch of people talking in the background; he must be out with friends. 

"If you are, I don't mean to interrupt. I'll talk to you later."

 "No! No. I'm not busy. I'm just at the mall. That's why it's so loud in the background. What's up?" I let out a sigh of relief, but that was short-lived. I was so nervous. Should I even do this? What happens if he says no? 

"Yeah, um- I was just wondering- well, I was thinking- Actually." Damn it, Charlie, spit it out!

"Yeah, I'm free tonight. Did you have something in mind?" I could hear his smirk through the phone. Screw him and his cockiness. 

"It's called Mrs.P's; it's a cute diner."

"What time?" I could hear someone calling his name, the voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't trace it. 

"Is seven okay?" I asked him as I bit my lip nervously. 

"Yeah, that's perfect. Look, I have to go. But I will see you then, okay?"