Chapter 17

Chance's POV
"I-I'm sorry for doubting you." Levi looked to the ground ashamed.

"Don't be." I smiled kindly.

"I understand that you're probably stressed out from all this happening at once." I comforted.

"I don't know how you manage to put up with me." He shrugged.

"Me neither!" I laughed.

"Well at least you're honest about it." He looks at me fondly, then his eyes lands on my ring finger.

  "I really can't believe that I'd maybe have a chance to have my own family in the future." He comments.

  "Me neither... I'd pretty much lost all hope a couple years ago." I agreed.

  "And now here we are." Levi sighed fondly.

  "Strange isn't it?" I cocked my head.

  "It sure is." He nods his head.

  "Levi." Commander Smith's voice boomed from behind me.

"I need to talk to you." He says dully.

"Of course." Levi nods his head again stressfully.

"In your office?" Commander Smith asks.

"As you wish." Levi agrees nonchalantly.

This gives me a perfect opportunity to look for clues of the expedition in Erwin's office!

"I'll see you soon Levi!" I grinned.

He nods suspiciously.

Luckily Commander Smith didn't seem to notice anything weird and continued on towards Levi's office.

The two walked beside each other, not making a single sound.

I waited for them to be out of sight, then quietly tip toed towards Erwin's office.

I slightly opened the door to make sure no one was in there and walked in softly.

I began opening random drawers and looking through items.

I shifted papers but also put them back to their original designated area.

I was determined to do whatever I possibly could for Levi.

But I was getting increasingly nervous by every second.

The thought of Commander Smith finding me was unbearably terrifying.

With that thought in mind, I began to search through the various books on his shelf along with the surface of his desk.

All I saw was file after file along with paperwork after paperwork.

But nothing was important here to me at all.

I was looking for clues not random pieces of documents.

But I still refused to give up,

Maybe his drawers have secret compartments?

I'll have to check them out.

I decided to knock on the bottom of each drawer to make sure it didn't make a hollow sound, for that would prove that there was a secret compartment inside that specific drawer.

It was a tedious job, taking files out and knocking on the bottom of each drawer.

But on one certain drawer, when I knocked on it, it sounded like I was knocking on a large wooden door.