Chapter 18

Chance's POV
  "These are hospital appointment schedules, doctor bills and medical reports..." my eyes flashed in surprise.

  "What?" Levi leaned over to eye the paper.

  "Erwin Smith, 6th visit." I read one of the prescriptions.

  "Painkillers. Patient status, unstable." I read aloud.

  "Unstable?" Levi demands.

  I flipped the page over to see a doctors note.

  "Lung cancer doesn't have any vaccinations or cures, I'm surprised you held up for this long. You have about 25 days for certainty. I suggest we humainly euthanize you." My eyes widened.

"Humainly euthanize? What does that mean?" Levi cocked a brow.

"It means.." I stopped, debating wether or not I should go on.

But catching Levi's state I cracked.

"It means to painlessly kill someone. For example, if someone got bashed in the head and was bleeding to death with no hope, you would humanly euthanize them." I explained cautiously.

"So... So Erwin has lung cancer?" Levi demands, grabbing the documents in disbelief.

"It states he has 25 days for certain, that would explain why he was rushing the extermination plan. He wanted to personally see humanity defeat the titans." I mumbled.

"I'm going to find him." Levi turned around and started walking towards the door.

"Levi wait!" I grabbed his arm.

"What?" He growled.

The look on my face must've displayed utter shock at his attitude because he soon shook his head and sighed.

"I'm sorry Chance, I simply cannot believe what I'm reading. I need to know." He hugged me softly, as if I was something precious.

  "I don't blame you." I shook my head lightly.

  "But you need to act accordingly. Dashing into Commander Smith's meeting will only result in chaos. You and I both know this am I correct?" I looked up at him.

  "You're right." He admits in defeat and relaxed a bit.

  "I ask him when he gets back." He decided.

  "That's a better idea." I nodded.

He sighed and took another look at the documents before folding it sideways (Farlan style) and into his pocket.

"Let's get back to my room, maybe we can clear our heads a little." I suggested.

"You go ahead. I think I need a little time to myself right now." Levi shook his head.

I nodded understandingly and began walking out the doors.

Levi just stood there, as if he was in a daze.

His face displayed coldness but I could tell he was breaking down internally, after all, the person he trusted the most for more than 3 years was about or disappear from our lives forever.

  I couldn't help but feel massive sympathy for what Levi was going through.

  I personally would not be hugely affected by the death of Erwin Smith but I know a large amount of others will.

  And for that, i couldn't be too nonchalant and selfish about this situation.

  I walked down the corridors and back into my room.