Chapter 2

Chance's POV
(Another year later)

"Levi!" I hollered.

"What do you want you bratty kid?" He responds warily. Well he is cranky in the morning. I gently nudged him from my side of the bed.

  "Seriously what is it that you want?" He groans, sitting up.

  "First of all I am not a kid I am 20 second of all Isabel and Farlan are waiting downstairs, there's this "client" Farlan wants us to meet." I explained.

"Give me a little time to wake up in the morning yeah? I'm sure Farlan won't complain too much if we kept his so called client waiting for just 10 minutes." Levi groaned, shoving his face into a pillow.

"He couldn't mind, but the client would. Cmon Levi." I shook his shoulders gently, so gently it barely did anything. Waking up Levi was always like this. I would never have the heart to shake him violently at all, so we would always be here for at least 5-10 minutes just talking.

"Tch. Chance just a couple minutes." He mumbled. I sighed, giving in, sitting beside him on the double bed.

"Actually Levi, I was wondering, you're such a, take no offense to this but judgemental prick. Why did you take me in back then when I had literally nothing?" I stroked his hair curiously.

"You just answered your own question." He muttered, shifting a bit so he was facing the side.

"What do you mean?" I whispered.

"It was because you had nothing. Nothing to give and nothing to take. You were like a blank canvas that I could paint on." He breathed.

"I was tainted. You just couldn't tell." I scoffed.

"You were experienced, not tainted. There's a difference." He turned to look at me. "Plus, I think I kind of understood you in a way. Especially after you told me about your parents. But even before that, I understood being forced to scurry around for food and treated like pests."

"And." He added, eyeing me carefully as he spoke.

"I don't know why, but I had to tell you to stay. I think it was a gut feeling of some sort. I think if I had made you left, I still wouldn't chased after you at some point." He thought aloud. "So why bother with all the hassle?"

"Well, thanks for giving me an idea of why. I appreciate it." I looked into his grey eyes. I would be lying if I said I wasn't touched by his statements. Though he spoke monotonously, I could tell he meant every word. An instinct that we developed over the years we spent together.

Soon, after a couple more exchanges of words, we both got up and walked down the stairs. About time to actually, before Farlan's poor client grows a beard or something.

  "Isabel! Farlan!" I called out. Both heads turned toward me.

  "Chance! Heya!" Isabel grinned.

"Levi! Yo!" Farlan greeted. Levi simply nodded.

  "Let's go the client's outside." Farlan says. I nod. We headed outside and found a man wearing a hat and a trench coat. His expression was enough to give me an uneasy feeling, but it wasn't as if good people came to us for jobs.

  "What the hell do you want?" Levi questions, slightly waking up. I could tell he was suspicious of his guy's intentions as well.

  "One easy little thing, I mean for you thugs anyway. Do you know the blonde captain of a squad in the Survey Corps?" He asks smoothly.

  "Erwin Smith!" I realized. I had once admired the Scout Regiment. They actually went outside the walls unlike those slimy geezers in the Military Police and were the only military branch who had good combat skills.