Chapter 6

Joey and I were determined to find out what these two had going before we came into the picture. I honestly wanted to know what had my dad so goo goo for her. After all she is a gorgeous woman. Then again all the women he's been with were gorgeous. His has a thing for girls with the curls. This Regan chick most definitely seems like she's fit the bill one way or another. The way he looked at her was even different from the way he looked at his ex wife now that I think about it. It wasn't the stunned and annoyed look like that time. It was the stunned and 'wow she stole my heart' look. I think my dad needs her back in his life. The smile he wore looked permanent. As we listened by the door me and Joey made a bet that if she stormed out of his office mad then I have to give him a bag of candy bars to last him a month but if she didn't then he's have to clean my room AND sleep without his Roger Rabbit for a week. We shook on the bet and sat in with our ears at the door. We couldn't hear anything at first it was just silence.

  "What are they doing in there?" Joey whispered to me.

  "I don't know buddy I don't hear anything." I replied still trying to listen.

  "You think they're kissing?" He asked.

  "No! He wouldn't do that." I said as confident as I could.

Then I started thinking. As pretty as she is I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't lip locking right now. Forgetting that the once the door was closed the office was completely sound proof we didn't hear my dad coming. The door flew open and both me and Joey fell to the floor in the office as my dad stood behind the door. We could hear the soft giggling coming from Regan who was sitting in one of the chairs  in front of my dad's desk.

  "This is why I keep the door open now." I heard my dad say as me and Joey scrambled to our feet.

  "He....heeeeey guys! Feliz navidad to ya!" I said with a nervous laugh.

  "Give it up Carly. We're caught." Joey huffed.

  "Sorry buddy. I guess we'll have to be secret agents another time." I said running my hand through his hair.

  "Don't you guys have presents to open?" Regan asked as she smiled.

  "That's right! We do! Joey I have a surprise for you and you're gonna freak when you open it." I said to him.

  "Really? Dad can we?" Joey asked excited.

Daddy looked at us and gave us a smile.

  "Joey you can go open your gifts now and Carlyn I need you to stay just for a second and you can go."

  "Dad seriously? It's Christmas!" I said.

  "I know but it's just for a minute. Joey go ahead downstairs little man and we'll be right down."

Joey went out of the office in a hurry and rounded the corner to get to the steps. My dad closed the door and led me to the empty seat next to Regan and I sat down. My dad sat down behind his desk and leaned back in his chair. He looked to me with a happy look on his face.

  "Carlyn do you know this is?" He asked me.

  "Daddy I think I know the person who rescued me. This is Regan! And she's awesome! You should marry her like today." I said.

Then the awkward silence in the room was very clear that I might have struck a small nerve. I looked at my dad and then looked at Regan. Her head was down and she looked a little sad.

  "Did I say something wrong?" I asked.

Regan looked up and turned to me.

  "No sweetie you didn't. See Prince. You promised me! Why didn't you?"