Bonus Chapter: Birthday

The one thing I love about having a family is the fact that I can celebrate holidays with the ones you love. My most favorite day to celebrate is daddy birthday. Now I know what your thinking. Prince doesn't celebrate birthdays or holidays. He's not gonna be happy about celebrating one day. Well cool your jets kids. If I have anything to do with it he'll love it.

June 6, 2007. The eve of daddy's big day. He was working like a dog in his studio on new music like usual while I was sitting in my room watching some tv and snacking on some popcorn when I overheard Tony snapping on staff just outside my door.

"You know that's gonna be a problem if he sees those. Get them out of here!"

The commotion only made me curious to m ow what was going on so like the nosy scamp that I am I leaped up from the couch and sprinted to the door before I missed out on the action. Peeking around the corner I say a bouquet of huge purple and white balloons floating down the hall with Tony not far behind. I was itching to know what was going on but after being kidnapped twice and being so hardheaded I forced myself to stay put.....for about....two seconds! Come on now you think that I'm going to pass up on a moment like this?!?!? Who do you think I am? Erinalia? I love her and all but she overthinks things a little too much sometimes. Don't tell her I said that though. As Maury was on in the background something inside of me was itching to leave the room.

  "No Carly. You're in control here. You can prove daddy wrong and stay put." I said coaching myself through the itch to leave.

That was an itch that no matter how hard I was scratching there seemed to be no relief in sight.

  "Sorry daddy but something is going on and I wanna know." I sighed shaking my head.

I ran down the hall and followed the trail of long string down to studio C where Tony was working with some of the other staffers.

  "What's going on Tony?" I asked peaking my head in the door.

  "Carlz! Hey! Come on in I could use your input!" He said happily as he greeted me.

  "With what? Why is the room filled with balloons and stuff?" I asked.

  "Tomorrow is boss man's birthday but....he doesn't know about us throwing him a little shindig to celebrate."

  "Yeah but....daddy is a witness. He doesn't do birthdays....or holidays....or time. You know he's gonna be a little tee'd off about this."

Tony simply laughed and scratched at his eyebrow.

  "Well it's not really a party for his birthday. It's just a party that happened to be on his birthday."

I couldn't help it as my face gave him a rather confusing scowl.

  "You think he's really gonna fall for that crap? Tony....the jig will be up higher than your hairline. He's not buying into that."

  "Oh really? Then what would you suggest? Miss smart mouth?" He hissed.

I didn't say anything. I just smiled and kicked him out of the room and got right to work. I arranged the tables decorated the room and organized all the balloons so that it looked like a party and not like something Tony was trying to throw together. Even though the room was small I managed to keep it simple and not overdone. I had Joey come down and help with the place settings on each of the three tables. Every once in a while Tony would come by and check in and ask if things were ready but we were still missing something special. Something important.

  "THE CAKE!"

Joey and I knew that the clock was definitely against us and neither of us could drive across town to the bakery.

  "We can't have a birthday for dad without cake! Carly what are we gonna do?" Joey asked me.

  "I didn't know what to say to reassure him that we were going to have a cake."

Panic was seconds away from setting in when....

  "Did I hear someone say cake?"

Joey and I turned to find Regan strolling in with a huge white box in her arms.

  "REGAN!!!"

Joey and I were never so happy to see the love of Prince's life show up and save the day.

  "Please tell me that there's a cake in that box." I begged as she untapped the corners of the box.

  "Indeed it is." She said revealing the sweet and frosted confection that was inside.

The cake was a standard sized sheet cake with huge purple symbol front and center.

  "Ummm....Regan?" Joey called.

  "Yes baby doll?" She replied.

  "I think you got the wrong cake. Who's Skipper?"

Regan smiled and gave Joey a hug.

  "That's what I used to call your dad when we were little kids!"

  "Oh! Well.....never mind!" He giggle happily.

Our little happy moment was cut short when the sound of footsteps could be heard coming up the steps.

  "He's coming!" Joey whispered.

  "Carly go stall him! We'll get ready here!" Regan said as she scurried to get the cake in place the lights out.

I ran out of the studio and into the hall to find daddy heading my direction sharply dressed in a deep blue three piece suit.

  "DAD! HEY!" I yelled as he approached.

  "Carlyn! Why are you yelling?" He giggled.

  "Huh? Oh! Well.....I have something to show you! I uhhhh.....I wrote a song! Yeah! That's it! I wrote a song and I want you to hear it in studio C! Come on!"

That was the worst cover ever.

  "Can it wait I kinda have to take care of Something first?" He asked as he was being dragged down the hall.

  "Nope this can't wait!"

Daddy huffed and continued to let me pull him to the studio. Once we got to the door I found I couldn't stop smiling. Daddy was very puzzled.

  "Aren't we going in my dove?" He asked.

  "Close your eyes first!"

  "Close my eyes? I thought-"

  "Dad just do it!" I snapped at him excited.

  "Ok! Ok! They're closed!"

  "No peeking dad. I'm serious."

I opened the door and pulled him inside and let the door close behind us.

  "Ok! You can open them!" I said to him.

  "Carlyn? Why are the lights out?"

Flipping the switch the staffers, Regan, Joey and I yelled out as loud as we could.

  "SURPRISE!!!!! HAPYY BIRTHDAY PRINCE!"

Daddy was very happy that night. We all were. Just goes to show that I have the greatest dad ever. Happy birthday daddy. Thanks for letting me grow up a Nelson.