Chapter 8

As we sat in the dim and chilled lobby Regan looked like she was trying to keep a positive mind.

  "What's really going on between you and my dad? There's more to the story you gave us in the office.....isn't there?" I asked her trying my best to keep my voice down.

She lowered her head a little and took a deep breath.

  "Carly? Did you know anything about your aunts boyfriend Dwayne? Is there anything you can possibly remember?" She asked.

It really wasn't much to remember about him except when he molested me but that was all I could think of. I shook my head no and sat back on the couch.

  "Carly I really need you to try to think really hard about before you were placed at the orphanage. Anything you can give me will help keep you safe."

  "Keep me safe from what?"

  "Not what. Who."

  "Dwayne?"

The silence was the give away that she knows something.

  "Regan what's going on?"

  "Dwayne is my old boyfriends cousin. I met him when I met your mom in college. He supposedly knew your biological father. Ever since your mom went missing I've been working with the Indianapolis FBI trying to solve her murder. I know Dwayne did it but they can't arrest him because there's no proof that he did it. I also feel like he wasn't alone."

  "So what your saying is your trying to bring my mom's killer to justice. That's good but why leave?"

  "Prince never wanted me to continue getting involved after I was revived at the hospital. He didn't want me to put stress on my body than I needed."

  "And being the headstrong lady you are you left and did it anyway. So that's why you guys never got married. You've been trying help my mom find me but only ended up helping my mom find her killer. But I still don't understand. Why not just tell my dad? He can give you some extra man power?"

  "Carly it's not that easy to convince your father to do something that he thinks is dangerous. It's not like how we were when we were growing up. One slip up and Dwayne can slip away to another state and stay in hiding for another 10 years. He knows how to stay off the grid because he uses you aunt as a pawn."

My life story just keeps getting stranger. This jerk killed my mom and he's beating the system so he can't get caught! I sat and processed all of this new information and I gotta say for someone I just met Regan really does care about the people she loves. My mom must have really been something special to her and now that I'm her only connection to her this must really mean a lot if she's willing to leave just to keep Dwayne from finding me. It was kinda like an episode of Criminal Minds and Law and Order mashed together.

  "Maybe if we tell him he'll change his mind. Maybe I might be more help. I want that guy in jail just like you do. I never got the chance to enjoy my mom like you did. The way you talk about her makes me feel like I missed out on what I could have had growing up. I missed out on my mom but you didn't! Please Regan let me help you please?"

  "Carly I can't. If something were to happen to you I'd never be able to forgive myself and your father will probably never forgive me either. It's best that I talk to your dad myself about this. I have to protect him too."

  "Wait why does he need protecting? He's Prince nobody would dare try to do anything crazy."

  "Abnormal person no but Dwayne is far from normal. He's a sick bastard like his sick cousin."

  "Well where's Marcus?"

A smile grew on her face as she stood up from the couch and pulling me up with her.

  "Where he should have stayed. In hell."

I knew there was a reason I liked her so much. She pulled me in for a hug.

  "Don't worry Carly let me do this for you. Just stay put and stay safe. Not just for me but for your dad. He loves you too much to lose you."

  "Yeah I know. I still wanna help though."

  "I know you do sweetie. Let me take care of it ok?"

Giving her a simple nod she put her arm around my shoulder and we went back into the living room together. Suddenly I remembered why I came looking for her.

  "Wanna see my new phone?" I said excited.

  "You mean he finally let you get a cell phone? Oh Skipper it doesn't take much anymore to get you to break." She laughed.

  "Why? What did you do to get him to let us have the sleds?" I asked curiously.

  "Well apparently not a whole lot! All I had to TO was flip my hair one time and that was by accident!"

  "THAT'S ALL!?!?!?"

  "That's all! There was so much more I had to do if I wanted to convince him of anything when we were dating."

  "Yeah? Like what?"

She didn't wanna say because it had to been something only adults would talk about.

  "Let's just get you through high school before we jump into any of that kid." Was all she said as we walked to the living room.

Walking into the living room smiling my dad looked up from the game of connect four he and Joey were playing to find us walking through the door like a couple of school girls gossiping about the hot guy that just walked passed us.

  "Well welcome back ladies. What took you guys so long? I thought I'd might have to come send a search party." He said smiling back at us.

  "We were just bonding and being girls. You should know all about that considering you can do a cat eye better than me." She giggled.

My dad cocked his head as he looked at her.

  "Always got jokes Mouse." He said.

  "I love you too troll." Regan replied as she leaned in and gave him a quick peck on his cheek.

His face blushed from that kiss she left as if it was the first time she kissed him. His smile softened as he looked at her and admired her face.

  "Good to have you home Regan." He said still smiling at her

  "Glad to be home Skipper." She smiled back.

I really like her! If my dad was smart he'd pull out that ring again and marry her! They seem to be the perfect match for each other and to let a woman like Regan get away is something a crazy person would do. I hope to be like Regan one day.