Chapter 29

Fast forwarding to three grueling weeks later I was serving my hard time as part of the Paisley Park cleaning crew. When I mean crew I mean dad made the actual staff take the month off and passed all of their duties....to me. Today's task was to clean the pyramids. "Make them sparkle" he says. "He wants to see his own reflection when he looks up" he says. As much as I wanted to gripe and complain this was the price I get for running away and damn near getting ghost for the rest of my life because I wasn't careful. And by ghost I literally mean a ghost. If one of those fools had it in them they really would have shot me. Once I got freakishly high in the cherry picker I head a door slam closed and Joey ran down the hall of the second floor. When he saw what I was doing he stopped and looked over at me confused.

"Carly? What are you doing?" He asked as he watched.

"Paying my Purple debt to society." I replied as I wiped the windex from the glass.

"What does that mean?"

"That means I'm grounded for the rest of my life and I have to clean this whole place from top to bottom. If I don't then...well.... ya know.

"Oh! So dad gave you what you would say at the orphanage the Wilkinson walk of pain!"

"Ugh! Don't remind me. I wonder if that old broad is still kickin'!"

Joey let himself slip out a giggle when my dad called him down from the other end of the hall.

  "What are you doing out there son?" My dad asked as I heard his voice come closer towards the opening.

  "Watching carly take her sentencing like a man!" He giggled again.

I cut my eyes at my brother with a smile on my face.

  "Gee thanks kid! Beat it before you get me even deeper in the hole." I joked.

Joey ran off and leaped into daddy's arms with a big grin.

  "Dad can we have ice cream?" He asked.

  "Hmmmm....can we have ice cream? I don't really know little man. What do you think?"

Joey tilted his head and with his big blue eyes widened them and replied.

  "YES!" He giggled.

  "Oh! You really think so?"

  "Come on dad. Live a little!"

  "You sound like your sister." Daddy laughed.

  "Yeah dad! Live a little!" I shouted from the cherry picker.

  "Alright you can have some ice cream. After dinner though."

  "Awww dad.....buzzkill." Joe replied sadly.

  "Now you sound like Regan." Daddy said as he watched Joey drag his feet back towards his room.

  "As he should!" Me and my dad both heard a voice say from below me.

Regan looked up and saw how high up I was and was quite worried.

  "Prince Nelson! I know you do NOT have that child up there doing your dirty work!" She snapped.

  "It's fine Regan really!" I shouted down to her as I sprayed more windex at the glass and wiped it away.

  "Yeah Mouse stop being such a parent! That's my job!" My dad yelled down to her from over the balcony.

  "Really? Then I guess you won't be needing these!" Regan shouted back waving a big brown envelope in her hand.

  "What's that?" I asked curiously.

  "Why do t you two little munchkins come down and find out." She joked.

  "HA! Ya hear that daddy? You're a munchkin!" I laughed at him.

My dad clearly wasn't happy about Regan picking on him for his size but he was used to it since they've known each other longer than I've been alive. He raced down the steps to see what was inside and I lowered the cherry picker down to ground level and stepped out. Aaahhh! Being at ground level is a lot less scary....well unless your the daughter of a music legend who could also smack your demons into the middle of next year if you gave him enough reason. You can't always trust the ones that are saved sanctified and judgmental. Ok maybe he's not judgmental but he has his moments! I mean look at who my dad is for crying out loud!

  "Is this what I hope it is?" He asked trying to hold back his excitement.

  "I think you and Carly should open that together." Regan said with a grin and winked at me.

  "Nah! Daddy you do it. I'm too nervous." I said as my heart raced.

Daddy tore through the envelope and pulled out the cover sheet. He looked it over before reading it out loud.

  "The court circuit of Indian have tried and sentenced the following suspects to the maximum of life by order of the residing judge. Kid we're free at last!" He said as he hugged me.

  "Seriously?!?! Dwayne and Melissa are in the slammer forever!?!?! That's awesome! Mom thank you!"

Not realizing what I said I ran into Regan's arms the happiest kid in the world. Then it hit me. I just called Regan my mom. I let go and back away apologizing a few times for my outrageous outburst. Regan just smiled and shook her head full of dark brown curls and pulled me back towards her.

  "Carly you have nothing to be sorry about. You can call me Regan or mom. That is.....if that's ok with old man Purple over there." She smiled as she looked at my dad who was scowling at her.

  "Call me old one more time woman!" He snapped as he pointed a finger between her eyes.

  "You can't hide it forever nerd!" She snapped back slapping his hand out of her face.

  "You are so lucky I love you right now. If you were anybody else I'd have you arrested."

  "Please you wouldn't dare! After all I did you for and that's how you would treat me? You love me. HA! You love your ego!"

  "Ego? Me? Never that mama."

  "So your calling me a liar?"

  "Not at all! Your just....embellishing the truth a little!"

  "Are you kidding me right now? I'll have you know you have the biggest ego I've ever met! I thought Morris was bad! You're way worse!"

I couldn't take it anymore with these two.

  "HEY! OLD PEOPLE!" I yelled finally getting them to stop bickering.

  "Watch it young lady or I'll add on to your already extensive punishment." Dad huffed.

  "Fine by me but just kiss and make up already!" I said.

Regan looked at my dad and he looked at her. There they go with the goo goo eyes again. Ugh! They look like sad puppies in the puppy bowl.

  "So you gonna kiss him or what?" I said as I watched.

  "I am!" Regan said quickly and pulled my dad in for a kiss.

  "Finally! Now go flash him a boob and play some Marvin Gaye!" I laughed and let them get freaky in the middle of the lobby.

I think within the next few month I'm gonna end up with a brother or sister. My job is officially done!

The awesome joys of being me and growing up as a Nelson. It may not always be easy but it definitely is a ride of a lifetime. I'm glad I stole that guitar after all.