Nineteen ; The Dark

She didn't know exactly when she had come to consciousness, all she knew was that when she opened her eyes, it was as if she hadn't opened them at all

"Jihyun-ah?" she squeaked out frightfully. Hyun-a was terribly afraid of the dark, and at this point was trembling like a leaf in the autumn wind. Her first instinct was to call out for her brother who, in times like this, would turn on the light and save her from the darkness that surrounded her.

But he never came.

Tears pooled in her eyes as she tried sitting up. "J-Jihyun this isn't funny! I-I'm scared." Yes, perhaps he was playing a prank on her! He always pulled pranks on her even though she had repeatedly told him to stop.

Yet, no reply came.

Fear tip-toed like spider legs up her spine, it traced a taunting claw along her neck before finally gripping her mind in a vice. She felt like she couldn't breathe, like every quick and successive breath she took held nothing but the darkness she feared.

Where was Jihyun? Where was her mother and father? She was scared and alone, something that never mixes well with anyone. Small whimpers passed her lips as she wrapped her arms around her legs in an attempt to keep warm. 

It was utterly silent--the kind that made it feel like there was a pressure in your ear, threatening to crush your mind. How long had she been in there? Hyun-a was never really good at telling the time (in fact, she was always late for everything.)

The small five-year-old was startled when the door to the room she was kept in, opened. At first the light that poured in was blinding, as if she were faced with the gates of heaven. Her arm came up to protect her eyes as she ducked her head away. If she looked again, she would go blind!

"Do you know why you're here?"

The voice seemed to surround her at all sides, reminding her that there was no where to run. Hyun-a slowly lowered her arm to see where the voice had come from, blinking rapidly to adjust to the amount of light she had been bathed in. Now that she saw properly there was a man standing in the doorway.

No...It was a boy no older than 18. His hair was tamed in a low ponytail of dark mocha color. Timidly, she shook her head 'no'. 

He didn't move, he simply tilted his head. "I saved you.

"Saved...me?" What did he mean? Hyun-a didn't think she was in trouble. Mama didn't find out about her dirty dress did she?! "What do you mean?" 

The male unfolded his arms and held out an inviting hand to her. " It's alright, come with me and I will show you that there is nothing to fear. I will save you from the darkness. "

Hyun-a was unsure of what to do, but his voice was warm and welcoming. Shouldn't she stay here and wait for Jihyun to come? As if she wasn't thinking, she stood and tip-toed to the man's outstretched hand, taking it in her own. His touch was warm and comforting...but sent a chill up her spine. She still couldn't see his face properly, only his kind smile and tailored suit. 

" Where are we going? Are you gonna take me to Jihyun? I miss my Ma and Pa. "

The man simply hummed, tugging her along the grey corridors. " We're going somewhere special. Somewhere where only the best can be brought out of you. Are you ready, Hyun-a? " He asked her without glancing at her. She nodded only because she thought it was the right thing to say. A satisfied hum buzzed in his throat as he stopped them in front of a pair of steel doors. 

She didn't know what was going on, nor what was to come. All she knew was one thing:

He had saved her from the darkness.