Chapter 1 ~

New inmates entered Buckland prison on a Sunday afternoons. They arrive by a, usually half empty, bus.

Zayn Malik, stood in the shadows of the watchtower, as it was one of the only places the new inmates could be seen from inside the prison. A cigarette draped from his lips that were curling into a slight smirk as he watched the last prisoner, trailing behind the rest.

The boy moved slower than the rest, forced to do a small hop with each step as the metal chains were bounded tight around his ankles.

"Payne!" Wailed the guard as he noticed how far behind he was. His sunken eyes narrowed at the sight of the young man. "Keep up, son!"

Zayn's eyebrows quirked slightly as he heard the name, remembering Officer Styles telling him about the convict. Slowly, Zayn stepped out of the shadows of the watch tower so he could get a better look at the boy. He couldn't of been older than twenty, with a very prominent jawline. His golden hair matched his sun kissed skin.

The prison uniform clung tight to his torso, hugging his abs tightly and squeezing across his broad shoulders. As he walked past, Zayn noticed the way the the outfit cupped his bum nearly, defining the curve of his arse.

Within hours, Officer Styles had reported back to Zayn with the news on why such a beautiful lad belonged in a place like this.

Liam Payne was a newly qualified doctor, only been in the business for a matter for months before being harshly convicted of malpractice and gross negligence. As he went to to Cambridge university, Liam had earned the place as a highly respected physician in Wolverhampton. Liam had played the hero when a labouring woman went into distress, he attempted to save her life single handedly. He's confessed as much in writing - his pride, his overconfidence in his own ability. Unfortunately, Jane Wheaton, only twenty one, and her infant, had died. The News Papers had described the scene in loving, lurid detail: Lord Wheaton bursting in to find blood splattered walls and his young wide slashed open with the dead infant in Liam's hands. For his heroic acts, Liam got charged with double murder.

~~

Zayn saw Liam again in the evening, in the common time between supper and the time that all the doors get locked down for the night. It was the same for all new prisoners. Liam didn't say anything to Zayn, nor did he spare him a glance which wasn't filled with pure terror. If you were to ask Zayn, he would scoff and show mercy towards the boy. But the sympathy that filled his eyes would tell you otherwise.