Seven

Interesting and different chapter.
Lucas has always been kind of salty and he never really wanted to break the rules. Everyone got mad and assumed he was just rude to El and everyone else for no reason.
But what if he isn't as happy as he seems, either? And what if his life isn't as simple as you think, based on just what you can see?

Lucas.

Max has a secret, Erin is probably dying, and Mike just...isn't ok. I don't know what to do anymore.

At first I just cared about Erin. Then Mike, Will, and I decided we would try to figure Max out. Now Mike is messed up, so I don't want to ask him to help.

Not messed up, but not...normal, not anymore. I don't know, I didn't even really know people did that to themselves. Why did he? Why did he even think to try? I think that worries me more than actually knowing he does it.

I just don't know what to do. Will is also acting weird, he's basically shielding Mike from further harm. It's weird, all of it. Things just went so downhill the second El was taken.

Might I mention that I have no idea who took her? It was some man, but he just looked normal. I'd pass it off as a regular kidnapping if he didn't pass tons of kids to get to her specifically. He obviously wanted her, and he obviously knew what she looked like. I don't understand who would want her, I really don't. It's not like Brenner is alive.

I just got home after visiting Mike and I honestly wish I could've stayed longer. My parents don't get along like they used to, and it isn't too easy on me. I feel like they don't pay any attention to me anymore. My mom does sometimes, but my dad doesn't. He never really did, though.

When I entered the front door, my mom showed up and smiled at me. I smiled back, but it was hard to smile when so much is going on. She kind of noticed, it was obvious. She lead me into the kitchen and made me sit down at the counter.

"Is something wrong, Lucas? I know I haven't been here for you much, I'm sorry," she breathed out, starting to make me a sandwich. She looked sad, too.

"I'm ok, are you?" I asked quietly, and she turned to look at me. She only nodded, bringing me my sandwich. I started to pick it up when we heard the garage door opening. We shared a glance, and it was sad that we had to feel this way.

"You can take your sandwich to your room, go on." She rushed, and I nodded. I hopped down from the tall stool and grabbed my plate. I don't want to leave her alone, but I can't be down here. He'll either ignore me or start criticizing me. Both will hurt me.

I got into my room and set my sandwich on my bed. I searched around and found my headphones under my bed. I don't use them for music, I just use them to block sound out. I'm prepared, which is also sad. I'm not sure I'll need them, I just keep them by me just in case.

I sat down on my bed and immediately heard a door slam. I sighed, slowly placing the headphones on my head. I could hear yelling, but it was muffled and I couldn't make out words.

I ate my sandwich slowly, wishing things could be normal again.

-

edit, 5-6-19: wow wait small rant ahead !
I never noticed how sad this really is. Y'know like it's sad that Lucas is semi neglected and it's sad that his dad is so mean but like shit y'all ! He keeps HEADPHONES under his bed and he's sitting there eating a sandwich while hearing his parents' muffled yells. Like fuck man I've been there and the feeling that resonates in your stomach is a w f u l and since this is my first time reading TGWP since it came out in 2016, I now appreciate and love Lucas so much more than I already did. This kid is so brave and wonderful.