Twenty One

Hopper.

I started to clear my desk off, setting everything to the side, in the corner of the room. The last thing I moved was my typewriter, which was the heaviest thing.

I walked back to my desk, placing a small cup of colored pens on it. Then a stack of paper. I sat, smoking a cigarette, and waited.

Finding the missing girls is first priority, no matter what I'd rather do. I'd love to be searching for Eleven first, but the girls in the Upside Down will be easier to find and save.

It wasn't long before my office door swung open, and I connected eyes with four boys. Mike closed the door, and they all hurried to huddle around the desk. Dustin claimed the chair, sinking into it. The others rolled their eyes, turning back to me.

"This won't do. We need more help," I breathed out, and they started glancing at each other.

"Well, you know Nancy and Jonathan are always in." Mike shrugged, and I nodded slowly.

"I'll talk to Joyce, she'll come in handy with talking to the girls. Anyone else you can think of?" I mumbled out, not expecting any answers. They're just kids.

"Not really, no." Lucas shook his head, and everyone else joined in. I nodded, then leaned forward and picked up the cup of pens.

"Take a color, and stick to that color," I ordered, and they rushed to get the color they want. They all looked content, examining their pen. Kids are weird.

"Shouldn't we have Nancy and Jonathan be here?" Will spoke up, and I nodded slowly. "Jonathan is home, just call my house."

I nodded more, picking up the phone and beginning to dial the number.

"You know my number?" he asked with a small, knowing smile. I only gave him a glance, putting the phone to my ear and waiting for Jonathan to answer. It didn't take long, and neither was the conversation. He'll pick up Nancy then come on over.

"So, how is everyone doing? You've befriended that new girl, I heard," I made small talk, and they started glancing at each other. Dustin was fine, though, he smiled bright.

"Yeah, she's pretty awesome," he spoke up, his smile still wide. The others had hesitant faces, nodding slowly. They obviously didn't agree.

"And why don't the rest of you like her?" I spoke up, and Dustin lost his smile, rolling his eyes.

"She's just...odd. She knows things that she shouldn't know, and she acts weird. She's fine one minute and then looks angry the next, and she always has this weird look in her eyes," Mike babbled on, and I kept glancing at Dustin. He looked disappointed.

"I don't see what your problem is with her!" he suddenly burst out, standing up to face his friends. "She did nothing wrong, and she makes me happy! She's just smart, that doesn't mean she's up to no good!"

"Hey, kids, calm down. This isn't something to fight about, ok? Knock it off," I spoke sternly, and Dustin huffed before plopping back down in this seat. "I'm sure this girl is fine, that's not our main focus right now."

"Of course it's not. Our main focus is Erin, and Eleven. Because they're so much more important," Dustin mumbled, making Mike's face go hard.

"I said don't call her Eleven! And of course she's more important, she's in danger! Max is perfectly fine!" he yelled at him, and they started yelling back and forth about if Max is important or not.

"Alright, that's it," my voice boomed out, and I slammed my hand on my desk to get their attention. They jumped and turned to me, going quiet. "I say what's most important, and I choose what we do first. We have to save these girls, they're in more danger than anyone else. Then, we work on finding Eleven. Mike is right, Max is perfectly fine. If something happens to her, she'll be a topic of discussion," I ordered around, and they just nodded slowly. "Stop arguing and acting so immature, this is a serious task."

It was then that the door opened, and I saw Nancy and Jonathan peaking in.

"Everything ok?" Jonathan spoke up, walking further into the room.

"Everything is fine, come in. Shut the door." I nodded, sitting back in my chair again. They walked in, Nancy pushing the door shut lightly. I made them take pens, as well.

"Awh, there's no pink," Nancy commented, grabbing the orange one. I made eye contact with Mike, but we both ignored it.

"So, we need a plan. Joyce won't need to help until we find a way to talk to them, so let's not bother her yet," I spoke calmly, and everyone agreed. "Ok, first rule is no going out alone. This is very important, ok?"

"And no going out at night, that's when it's most powerful," Nancy added in, and I nodded. I wrote those things down on a paper that I labeled Rules. Creative, I know.

"Wait, how many girls were taken?" Jonathan asked that time, and I sighed.

"The sixth one was taken yesterday. All bleeding, all taken when completely alone. And during the day," I breathed out gruffly, resting my head in my hands. "How are we even going to begin?"

This is going to be a disaster.

-

Sorry my chapters suck so much recently. So much writer's block :\

edit, 6-20-19: Even though the writing in this book sucks, I will never get over how much I love it. Like side rant, the plot of these books is still something I'm SO passionate about, even three years later. It makes me so sad that there's no one to discuss it with anymore, because there's always so many hidden details and clues in it. I miss it. I miss the hype and I miss writing it.