Thirty Three

This is the first chapter that I've been happy with in a long, long time. Involves the gorgeous girl above🖤
[edit above made by kkstrangerthings ♥️]

Mike.

I don't know what my mood is lately, I'm feeling in between everything. I want to look for El, but I also think the girls need to be found. Depending on my mood, one of them seems more important than the other. At this moment, my brain is coming up with ways to find the girls. I can't think of much, but there's this small part of me just screaming that I need to do something. Fast.

It was around ten when I slowly climbed out of bed, still fully dressed. My mom came in at nine and thought I was going to sleep, so I'm set. I picked up my backpack slowly, being careful not to make too much noise. I then stood at my door, with my ear pressed up against it. It felt like an eternity before I heard Nancy's door open, making me rest my hand on my doorknob. I heard the bathroom door close, and I was pulling my door open quickly, but quietly.

I jogged lightly into her room, and hurried to her window. I unlocked it, pushing it up easily. I climbed out, nearly falling but steadying myself. I slid the window closed again, quickly inching towards the edge of my roof. I didn't really know how to get down, considering I've never tried to sneak out using my roof before. I just slowly lowered myself down as far as I could, then let go, landing hard and bending my knees a bunch. It still hurt, but I wasn't injured.

I ran to the side of my house, where I hid my bike earlier. I wasn't about to put it in the garage, I wouldn't be able to use it if I did that. And I am not walking, I would be out all night.

I started riding to the woods, my hood up to avoid being seen. Once I was far enough away from my house, I switched my light on and started riding faster. Going to the woods alone at night isn't smart, I'm aware. But we need to start actively looking for the girls, clues help us none. I should probably bring Lucas, I know he'd agree with me, but I don't want to put him in danger. If there's some kind of second, advanced Demogorgon, I'm not putting anyone else in possible danger. Only myself, considering I don't have much to lose, anyway.

I rode quicker, getting anxious, and eventually came to the small store. I haven't been here since last year, when El basically wrecked the store. Still proud of her for that.

I was about to look away and keep pedaling, but I caught sight of a familiar head of hair. My eyebrows furrowed, and I came to a slow stop in front of the store. I made no noise, but she looked over at me as if I did, her blue eyes blown wide. She looked shocked, and nervous, something I've never seen from her. She looked down at the bags in her hands, then slowly approached me. I didn't want to talk to her, but I had no choice now.

"Why are you outside on your own? You'll be taken, too," I suddenly asked loudly, and she looked at me with an even more shocked expression.

"I-I didn't think you cared about me," she spoke quietly, and I tensed a bit, but didn't answer. "I just needed food, my parents aren't home and we're out," she answered me then, and I nodded slowly. She shifted a bit, and one of the bags she was holding ripped, causing it and all of it's contents to fall to the cement. She looked discouraged, so I got off my bike and bent down, gathering everything back up. She didn't have another bag, but I helped distribute the stuff into the remaining bags of food. "Thanks."

I stood up, then extended my hand to help her stand up. She took it, and I helped her stand, but her sleeve slid up a bit on her left arm. I saw something, but I couldn't tell what it was. On instinct, I reached up quickly and pushed her sleeve up more. She didn't pull away, but she went absolutely stone still.

010

Am I seeing this right? Is that the number ten on her arm? Right where El has hers?

"Max, you're..." I trailed off, not able to gather my thoughts. I dropped her hand, looking up at her face and slowly backing away. She looked at me with pleading eyes, but I was too freaked out to listen. I was about to turn around and get on my bike, but I suddenly couldn't move anymore. It was like no part of my body worked, and I only looked at her with even more horrified eyes.

"Mike, listen, you can't tell anyone. It'll put me and my family in danger, please," she pleaded, walking closer. She has the same power as El? She needs to let me go, I need to leave. "I can't let you go, I need you to promise me you won't tell anyone. And I know how much a promise means to you."

My mind is running wild, how does she know? I can't promise that, I have to tell someone. I can't just keep this from everyone, especially Dustin.

"You can't tell Dustin, you can't tell anyone," she ordered, and I was still wondering how she knows what to say. She randomly rolled her eyes, giving me a dull look. "How dense are you? Mike, listen, I have telekinesis, and telepathy. You know what telepathy is, right?" she asked, and I figured this is my chance to test out how serious she's being.

'Yes, it's when you can read people's thoughts. The same thing as being psychic, basically.' I thought, and she nodded.

"Exactly, I can read minds. I can hear every thought you have, even the ones you don't know you're having. But I don't have to, I can leave your mind. It's basically like an on and off switch, the same as the other power. I use none of my powers to harm people." she informed slowly, but a small part of me didn't believe her. Does she have something to do with El going missing? Or the girls? "Mike, would you stop jumping to conclusions? I'm hurting no one. Promise you won't tell, and I'll let you go."

I didn't want to promise, but it's probably nearing eleven and someone is going to notice I'm gone. I need to.

'Fine, I won't tell anyone, just let me go.' I thought hastily, and she gave me a small smile. Her pupils shrunk a bit, and my body slowly loosened. I gave her one more glance before getting on my bike and starting to pedal away.

"Don't tell anyone, Mike," she spoke loudly, but her voice was darker. She sounded suddenly menacing, and a shiver went down my spine. She knows how to threaten, that's for sure.

I rode in the direction of my house, but my mind was going insane. I can't just go home, I have to tell someone.

Someone that will keep my secret, because they'd do just about anything for me.