Time Out

When I got back from the store I rushed to the kitchen to find my phone missing from the counter. I was about to panic when Ashleigh tapped me on my shoulder and pulled my phone out of her bra.

"Thanks, Ash." I said with a sigh of relief. I immediately deleted the messages and started the peach cobbler.

"You're welcome. We're in this together, right?" Ash asked giving me the look that said she knows she just saved my butt.

"Right." I agreed and continued my desert.

Every year Brandon's company had a Valentine's Day/charity ball and for this one they wanted my company to plan the event. I met with Alex, who handles all of their events. I almost died when she gave me the budget that I had to work with. We decided to make it a red carpet event. I was under budget and everything was going perfectly. I was worked overtime to make sure it was a success or Brandon would kill me, literally. I was in my office going over some last minute details when Trent walked in.

"Mimi, I feel like you're avoiding me." he said coming in and sitting on the love seat that was in my office.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him getting up closing my door so that we could talk.

"Well you won't return my texts or calls so I decided to come see you." He said pulling me down to sit next to him. "I thought we were better than that."

"We were. We are. It's complicated, Trent. I'm married now."

"So, you can't have friends?" He asked getting up going to my desk looking at my wedding picture. "You're like my sister. Aren't we friends?"

"It's not that simple. I don't think my husband would like us to be friends."

"Really? Why is that?" He asked arching his left eyebrow. "I'm the panty dropper if I wanted you I could have you."

"Please! Not likely, sir." I told him shaking my head.

"What is it then? I know you're not serious."

I laughed nervously because I couldn't tell him the truth. So I did what I knew best: I lied.

"No, I'm joking. He's just a bit jealous, nothing I can't handle."

"Let's go to lunch because I'm starving." He said grabbing my purse and my phone.

"Where to?" I asked following behind him. "You're going to the ball, right?" I asked locking my office door.

"Let's go to Rib Cage and only death would keep me from the ball." We laughed, but that was a funny choice of words because if Brandon found out about us hanging out death was going to keep me from it.

When we got there Trent was telling me what's been going on since he's been gone. Trent took a new job, fell in love and ended up heart broken. He was all set to marry this chick am done month before the wedding he caught her in bed with her "bro". The one time he decided to no longer be a man whore, he gets his heart broken.

"Two years and you didn't call Trent. Why?" I asked and took a bite of my turtle cheesecake.

"After what went down I just thought it was best if I didn't. I missed you everyday, but I just felt guilty."

"Let's not talk about it. We're both forgiven. Moving on." I said looking away from him.

He stared at me with those piercing dark eyes willing me to look at him. "New start?"

"Yes, Trent. Bre still doesn't know and I want it stay that way. What time is it?"

"It's a quarter to two." He told me looking at his phone.