DNA

"Brandon Grant is not excluded as the biological father of Peyton Smith. Probability: 99.99%."

I was numb after reading the test results over and over again. I had hope that Brandon wouldn't have lied to me. I believed him. I wanted this to be a joke that Bre was playing on me. No, it was a joke.

"Think, Camille. Think. Think. Think. Think." I said patting my forehead repeatedly. I paced back and forth trying to piece this together.

"Camille, I need you to calm down. These results came from Bre. They've probably been tampered with. Knowing her she probably typed these results up herself." He said stopping me mid pace, putting his hand on my shoulders.

"She's not that smart. This is all on legit letterhead, Trent. DNA doesn't lie. My 'goddaughter', who has my name is actually my damn husband's daughter." I let out a dry laugh shrugging him off of me.

"Let's think about this before you do anything."

"How do I tell Derrick that his best friend is his 'daughter's' father? I can't catch a break."

I sat in the chair next to Brandon's hospital bed and I thought of at least thirty ways that I could kill him. I thought about unplugging machines, putting a pillow over his face until he flatlined. How many times was I supposed to let him stomp all over my heart?

"Come on, Camille. Think. Think. Think."

"Mimi? Mimi. Camille!"

"Just give me a minute to think. I need to think. Just five minutes and I'll listen to whatever you want to say."

We hadn't even been married one whole year yet. Peyton was born four months before we got engaged. She would put bugs in my ear that maybe he was cheating around the time that Peyton would have been conceived. Derrick was gone on business a lot and she always wanted to be under me. I remember one time they went to a company gala while he was gone and I had food poisoning. Hell, I gave them room and opportunity to screw each other. I wasn't 'paranoid' and I wasn't being 'Insecure' I was just on to their game. I never thought that my married best friend wanted my boyfriend. My loyalty and love made a fool out of me.

"I asked you. I asked you and you lied to my face. This entire time I was a fool. I'm so stupid."

"MiMi, don't do this to yourself. It's nothing you did." Trent placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Right." I said looking at him dazed. "Can you run to my car and grab that bag so I can get out of these church clothes?"

Trent squinted his eyes at me then raised an eyebrow as to question my sudden favor that I asked him. "Sure. Anything else?"

"Yeah. Look out for Derrick he should be on his way. I'm sure I'll need reinforcements for this one."

"Sure thing. I'll be right back." He grabbed my keys off of the small dresser that was right below the TV. His face questioned me one more time before he shook his head. "Make sure you'll be able to live with whatever you're about to do."

As soon as I heard the door close I walked over to stand next to the bed. I looked from Brandon to Peyton. From Peyton back to Brandon again. I saw that Peyton was still asleep with her thumb in her mouth. I went over to the ventilator and stared at the socket it was plugged into. I put my hand on the plug and began to pull it out. I jumped when the door was suddenly pushed against the wall and scared Peyton making her cry.

"Jesus." I breathed putting my hand on my chest going to pick her up.

"Actually, my name is Trenton. What were you doing?" Looking at all of the equipment where I was standing.