Take The Edge Off

Yes, I was late for church, but the important thing was that I got there before they announced that Zay was going to be the new pastor. The reactions were mixed to say the least. I'm sure a lot of them were concerned with his singleness and the fact that he was under thirty. Will walked out making a scene, clearly it was a decision that he didn't agree with. I noticed that Ash wasn't with him, which was weird because she always attended church. After service we all went to dinner to celebrate with Zay. Trent came along with us and we were able to meet more of his family.

"Excuse me. I'll be right back." I said getting up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Trent asked me squinting his eyes trying to read me. "You just went to the bathroom." He said so only I could hear him.

"Well, I have to go again." I said snatching my hand away with a sarcastic smile.

Okay, I really wasn't going to the bathroom. I was just a little stressed out and overwhelmed so I went to the bar. I just needed a little drink to calm my nerves. I told the bartender to give me something that would take the edge off. I didn't know what the name was , but I pretty much guzzled it so no one would be suspicious of my absence. I took a complimentary packet of nuts so I could hide the smell of the liquor. I did go to the restroom just so it wasn't a complete lie.

"So, Camille, how's your husband doing?" Zay's cousin, Neshia, asked with a smirk. I knew she was messy the first time I met her randomly while I was out with Zay.

"Great. He's in a coma."

"So, you're using Zay until he wakes up?" She asked causing all heads to turn towards us.

"Kaneshia, shut up and stop being so messy. What you need to worry about is finding out who your son's father is. Don't worry about what they're doing." Dorothy, Zay's mom, said from down the table causing family to snicker and cough.

"Well, that's escalated quickly." Trent said eating his cheesecake.

I was mad she came for me like that. I was mad that I didn't take up for myself, but I appreciate Dorothy taking up for me. Neshia moved her chair from the table and walked out without saying anything.

"Don't let her get to you." Zay said to me. "We know what's what and so do the people who matter. Anything else is fishing for information or starting drama. Let it fly." He smiled at me and I nodded my head.

After a few more random conversations and laughs I was getting irritated. I grabbed my phone, pretending that I had a call and went back to the bar. My nerves were really bad and this was helping me calm down. I normally wasn't a drinker outside of occasional glasses of wine, but that liquor was working miracles on a Sunday. I paid for a martini, chugged it and went back to the table.

It wasn't too long before I was really starting to feel the drinks and I started giggling for no reason. Everyone looked at me strangely, but went back to their conversations. I really was a lightweight. I felt so much better when I didn't feel anything.

"What's going on, Mimi?" Trent had sent me a text.

I looked at him and smiled shaking my head. I knew my eyes had to be a little glossy by then. I wasn't drunk, but I was feeling quite lovely. Trent picked up my cup and took a drink because i was sure he thought I had something in there other than strawberry lemonade.

"Camille, why you smiling like that? Did Brandon die or something?"

"Unfortunately, no." I sighed and giggled.

"You've been drinking?"  He asked in a harsh whisper when I let my head tilt to the side and tucked my lips. 

I turned from him and joined in another conversation. They were talking about the First Lady position chasers. He didn't know just how hectic his life was about to be.