Changes

"Peyton?" I said as she wiggled from the nurses' arms and ran over to me wanting me to pick her up. "What's going on? She was here by herself?"

Peyton giggled and kissed my cheek. She laid her head on my shoulder and rubbed her eyes.

"She was in here when we came back to check on him. He's had some changes, which Dr. Powell will fill you in on shortly. Jalissa found her in here with a backpack, this envelope and a note pinned to her." She walked over and handed me the note.

"My name is Peyton Camille Smith. I am 2 years old. I'm allergic to eggs. Please call my stepmom, Camille, she will take care of me until my daddy wakes up." I read out loud so Trent could hear what it said.

"We thought it would be best to call you before we called the authorities. I'm going to go get the doctor and Jalissa." Kim said going towards the door and leaving.

I sat down because that letter was a shock to my system. If she didn't want Peyton anymore why wouldn't she just call Derrick? He adored Peyton and he was a great father. "Stepmom"? "Daddy"? My thoughts were interrupted when Dr. Powell entered the room.

"Camille, one of the nurses noticed movement in his hand this morning. We took him down and ran a diffusion-weighted MRI and a MR angiography to get some images of the brain and see if there were any changes in his brain activity and to rule out treatable disorders."

"You'd still have to do a clinical diagnosis, right?" I asked playing with one of Peyton's ponytails. "Before you can fully say."

"We're going to see. He may be improving and going into a vegetative state. He'll still be unconscious, but he would be able to have complex and motor reflexes, have sleep-wake cycles, control his blood pressure, cardiac function and respiration."

"But he still wouldn't be aware of us or himself."

"Correct we're going to do a series of tests and we're going to utilize the Glasgow Coma Scale. It's used to gauge the level of consciousness. The lower the level the more severe the brain injury."

"So we still won't know when he'll wake up." I stated.

"Unfortunately, no, but he's a fighter, Camille."

"Thanks, Dr. Powell." We shook hands and he left the room just as Jalissa came in.

"Hey guys." She said giving Peyton a juice box.

"So she was just in here by herself? No one saw who dropped her off?"

"No, Camille. We did a regular check on Brandon and when I came in for the next round she was sitting there watching Doc McStuffins. We have her some yogurt and oatmeal. We weren't sure if she had eaten."

"Ok. Thank you, Jalissa."

"You need to call Derrick, Camille." Trent said, but I was in deep thought. I was replaying the things that were said to me by Bre and Brandon. It wasn't that long ago that she blew up at me because she got caught up. I also remember asking Brandon if had slept with her.

"Brandon married you, but I had him first. How'd it taste?"

"I did cheat, but it wasn't with Abortion Barbie, Bre."

I looked down and saw that Peyton had fallen asleep still holding on to the juice box. Poor baby. I kissed her forehead and laid her on the couch. She didn't deserve to be in the middle of this mess.

"Are you going to call Derrick?"

"He's at the church. He won't answer his phone. I'll text him." I said looking at the envelope that was under Peyton's book bag.

Trent picked up the envelope and gave me the phone and told me to tell Derrick he needed to get to the hospital. I was looking for the envelope and couldn't find it.

"Trent, where'd that envelope go?" I asked because he was the one who took it.

"I don't know." He said with this unreadable look on his face.

"I'm not in the mood to play with you. Just give it to me."

He pulled the envelope from behind his back and held out to me. I snatched it and turned it over to see that it was from a DNA diagnostics lab. I had never opened anything so fast in my life. I skipped over all of the other information I just wanted to see the conclusion.

Brandon Grant is not excluded as the biological father of Peyton Smith. Probability: 99.99%.

***************************************

We know who Peyton's dad is!! I always give you guys hints you just have to pay close attention.

How are you guys feeling about the story? Yay? Nay? Let me know. I ever tell you guys how much I love y'all? Well I do!! Thanks for reading!

I'm chilling on the shout outs for right now. It won't be an every chapter thing anymore. I don't know what I was thinking. If I see you in my notifications I will shout you out. So for now: shout out to every last person who reads, votes, comments and/or shares HMTL!

***Vote, Comment, Share***