Chapter 6

Malissa

"Hey, are you ok?" someone called, a hand going over my forehead. "You just passed out all of a sudden. Are you loosing blood? You don't seem to be injured anywhere. Oh, please be ok!"

"What?" I groaned; my throat dry and my voice hoarse. I tried to sit up, but my gut hurt so bad that I just left myself lying on the ground, my eyes opening to the dark world around me. "Where are we? Who are you?"

"It's Triston," he shouted, panicking a little. "Remember me? Oh... you need water, or you're going to pass out again!"

I looked around for any sign of him, but I couldn't see anything. My eyes were still trying to adjust to the night, but at the same time it was hard because my eyes weren't clearing out. They were foggy all over, so everything looked like a large blur.

"Here, drink some of this," Triston said, a hand landing on my shoulder, startling me. "It's ok, I just need you to sit up, or you're going to choke."

He helped me lift myself up into a sitting position, before placing a weird bottle into my hand. I lifted the bottle to my mouth and took a sip of water, spitting it out almost instantly. "It's got the taste of alcohol?"

"Drink it."

"But it tastes bad."

"You don't drink it, and you're going to die."

I hesitantly took a couple gulps from the bottle, before setting it to the side; the taste as foul as I could remember alcohol being. "Absolutely disgusting!"

"Alright, I have to get you out of here," he said, lifting me onto my feet.

"And how do you suppose you're going to do that?" I asked, turning to see if I could find him.

"You're just going to have to trust me," he replied.

"How can I trust the giant who, he and his little friends, attacked the kingdom? My home," I asked, slowly on the verge of tears as I could hardly make out a thing. It was really starting to make me panic that I couldn't see around me. To know that I was going to be alright?

"I'd hardly call us little," he scoffed, "But, if you really want to know, I didn't attack the village. My comrades did, but only the ones who had hard working jobs: Blacksmith, horse trainer, hunters, etc. Surprisingly, in our country, the strongest giants are the nicest giants. So, when I noticed them wandering off, or disappearing, I knew something was wrong. I sent our dog, more of a wolf really, to check out the woods and he found them heading towards you. If I hadn't done that, sending my dog out, the whole kingdom would be in ruins."

"Are you saying that it's not in ruins?"

"No, some of it is, but not all of it. The castle is barely standing, but the outskirts behind the castle was completely avoided. It's still up and standing. Something must have stopped them, but I don't know what. My brother's conclusion, Markl, was that the giants were hypnotized by something, but we don't know what."

"So then how did he get to that conclusion?"

"Well, not only were the giants destroying your town, but they were destroying our own after some time of most of them going missing. We had to send children away, to keep them safe, along with animals, but they stopped when I got back. When I got back, the other giants had no idea that they had destroyed the human kingdom and were heading home. We wanted to make sure that they didn't feel sorry for what they had done, because surely it wasn't their fault. Also, my brother's conclusion is in the hands of the king now, so he obviously thinks that something is going on."