Chapter 26

Jason

I felt something sharp stab me in the wrist, and I yanked my wrist up towards my face, to see what the heck he had just done. But, as I looked at my wrist, I noticed a shadow moving over me, and I screamed; a hand quickly muffling it as another pinned me down onto the ground.

"No, no screaming," I heard Hamilton say as his eyes slowly appeared in the darkness of the room; staring down at me. "And, no crying either... Besides, you can't even control your body. I have complete control over you."

"What?" I coughed as he slightly lifted his hand from my mouth. "How...?"

"Pulled you into my dream," he sighed, moving all his hands from me as he sat next to me. "You were making so much noise, and I had to do something, before we got kicked out. So, I bit the mark, on your wrist, and pulled you into my mind."

"You can do that?" I asked, pushing myself up as well.

"Naturally, but it only works when the person has the mark, and when that person is distressed, or in need of comfort," he said, looking at me with a small smile. "And you looked like you needed comfort... A lot of – Are you crying?"

I blinked at him as I lifted a hand up, to the side of my face; feeling tears fall down my face. I had no idea why I was crying, but... it must have been because of my dream that I was having, before I ended up here.

"Are you ok?" Hamilton asked as he moved closer towards me.

"I-I don't know..." I muttered as I wiped away some tears. "I'm... sorry. I don't know what's w-wrong with me..."

"Hey, it's ok..." Hamilton sighed as he pulled me into a small hug, to comfort me.

It was nice for a little while, until it felt like something was burning me, and I screamed as I pushed Hamilton away.

"Ow! What's wrong with you?" I screamed as I continued to feel the pain spreading throughout my body. "What did you do to me?"

"I didn't do anything!" Hamilton shouted as he stared at me with concern.

"Well, it feels like something's bringing me- Ow!" I screamed as it got even worse. "It burns! Let me go! It hurts! IT BURNS!"

I felt Hamilton grab at my shoulders, and before I knew it, it felt like I had fallen, in my sleep, and I pushed myself upwards as I continued to feel the burning pain, all over my body.

"Fire! There's fire, boy!" someone shouted, from down underneath me. "Get the hell out of here!"

I jerked my head towards my wrist, where I saw Hamilton coughing, but I didn't give him time to explain, because I just grabbed him, and jumped off the loft, and back to the ground of the house. When I landed, I wrapped my hands around Hamilton as I watched the roof collapse under the weight of itself; my legs moving for me as I got distracted with the flames.

When I got out of the house, I watched in horror as I came across the rest of the village.

"Everything's in flames..." I gasped as I stared in shock at the village. "It's all my fault..."

"Get over yourself!" Hamilton screamed as he pushed against my closed hands. "We've got other problems to worry about!"

We do have other problems to worry about!

"The orphanage! If they got to the palisade first, then it'll collapse on the or-"

I was wasting time! I need to get to them quickly!

I glanced around the village, for a clear-ish path to the orphanage, and quickly took the closest one. The ground was covered in ash, and burning wood as I dashed over it, and towards the burning palisade; people pushing past me, to get to the river.